Living in Dominica

Advice for British people living in Dominica, including information on health, education, benefits, residence requirements and more.


This guide sets out essential information for British national residing in Dominica including advice on health, education, benefits, residence requirements and more. We are unable to provide any guidance on general lifestyle enquiries apart from the information and links listed below. See our ‘Our services’ section for information on what we can and cannot do for British nationals.


The main hospital is the Princess Margaret Hospital in Roseau. Specialised cases are usually sent to Martinique or Barbados. Make sure you have adequate health insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad and repatriation.

Further information on health care in Dominica can be found on our travel advice page.


In Dominica the school system is based on a combination of the British and North American systems. For information on the school system in Dominica, please visit the Dominica Ministry of Education and Human Resource Development website.

Entry and residence requirements

Entry requirements for British Nationals can be found on our travel advice page

British Nationals are not permitted to work in Dominica without a valid work permit and students are required to hold a student visa.

Information and advice regarding residency, work permits and student visa should be obtained from the Dominica Ministry of National Security, Labour and Immigration, the Passport and Immigration Department or Dominica High Commission in London.


British Nationals maybe entitled to UK benefits while living in Dominica. The UK basic state pension is payable in Dominica. Please contact the International Pension Centre for more information on getting your pension in Dominica.
You may be thinking about paying voluntary contributions to top up your pension entitlement. For further information on paying voluntary contributions in the UK, contact HM Revenues & Customs.

Driving licences and vehicles

Residents and visitors are required to hold a valid Dominican licence or permit to drive on the roads. Driving licences and permits are issued by the police at the Traffic Department in the capital. Temporary permits may also be issued by most car/motorcycle hire agencies. It is necessary to present a current valid driver’s licence issued in the holder’s usual country of residence. Further information may be found here.


The main banking facilities exist in both Portsmouth and Roseau although banks and automatic banking machines may be found at other points on the island. Advice should be sought directly from the banks on how to open an account. You are likely to be asked to produce a reference from your UK bank.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy by the relevant local authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. The FCO and the British Embassy will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. British nationals wishing to obtain any further information must contact the relevant local authority.

Published 25 November 2013