Living in Antigua & Barbuda

Advice for British people living in Antigua & Barbuda, including information on health, education, benefits, residence requirements and more.


This guide sets out essential information for British national residing in Antigua & Barbuda including advice on health, education, benefits, residence requirements and more. We are unable to provide any guidance on general lifestyle enquiries apart from the information and links listed below. See our ‘Our services’ section for information on what we can and cannot do for British nationals.


The main hospital, the Mount St John Medical Centre, is not free to non-nationals. It is able to cope with many types of treatment, but serious cases will mean emergency evacuation, usually to the USA. There are also a number of private hospitals and clinics. Make sure you have adequate health insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad and repatriation.

Further information on health care in Antigua can be found on our travel advice page.


Antigua generally has a good standard of education for all ages and there is a similar school system to the one in the UK. For information on the school system in Antigua, please visit the Antigua Ministry of Education website.

Entry and residence requirements

Entry requirements for British Nationals can be found on our travel advice page

British Nationals are not permitted to work in Antigua without a valid work permit. Information and advice regarding residency, work permits and student visas should be obtained from the Antiguan Immigration department -TEL: 1 268 562 1387 or email: or Antiguan High Commission in London.


British Nationals maybe entitled to UK benefits while living in Antigua. The UK basic state pension is payable in Antigua. Please contact the International Pension Centre for more information on getting your pension in Antigua.
You may be thinking about paying voluntary contributions to top up your pension entitlement. For further information on paying voluntary contributions in the UK, contact HM Revenues & Customs.

Driving licences and vehicles

Residents and visitors are required to hold a valid Antiguan licence or permit. Driving licences and permits are issued by Antigua and Barbuda transport board. Visitor permits can also be issued by car hire companies.


There are a number of banks in Antigua and advice should be sought directly from them on how to open an account. You are likely to be asked to produce a reference from your UK bank.

It is important to get you tax right when living abroad.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy by the relevant local authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. The FCO and the British Embassy will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. British nationals wishing to obtain any further information must contact the relevant local authority.

Published 25 November 2013