Living in Brazil

Advice for British people living in Brazil, including information on health, education, benefits, residence requirements and more.

This guide sets out essential information for British nationals residing in Brazil, including advice on benefits, residence requirements and more. We are unable to provide any guidance on general lifestyle enquiries apart from the information and links listed below. See our information on what consulates can and cannot do for British nationals.

Entry or residence requirements

British nationals are allowed to visit Brazil without a visa for up to 90 days. Being entitled to apply for an extension on their visa for up to 90 days more, the extension applications are dealt by the Brazilian Federal Police.

For visits of any other purposes, you must contact the Brazilian Consulate in London prior to your trip – or the Federal Police, if you are already in Brazil – to check what type of visa is required upon arrival in the country.

The Brazilian Consulate in London provides complete information about applying for Residency Permit in Brazil and different types of Brazilian visa. For more information, you can also check the Brazil Travel Advice.

When applying for Residency Permit whilst in Brazil, British Nationals are required to present a list of documents provided by the Brazilian Federal Police. As part of the process, you will be required to present your full UK Birth Certificate, apostilled by the Legalisation Office in the FCO, and translated by a sworn translator in Brazil.

You will need to access information about yourself to complete the process of getting a Brazilian residence visa.

The Data Protection Act and the Right for Information Act give you the right to ask in writing whether there is any personal data that the Metropolitan Police Service (or any other UK police) holds or has processed about you. This is the right of Subject Access. Therefore, requests for personal data can only be made via a subject access request under the Data Protection Act.

Subject access requests

If you do not live or have never lived in the London Metropolitan area, please apply to other UK Police Service that covers the relevant region or area.

The police record needs to be apostilled by the Legalisation Office in the FCO, otherwise it will not be valid. A translation to Portuguese is also required by the Brazilian authorities.

In case you have lived or been living in Brazil and need a Certificate of Criminal Records from the local authorities, you should submit your request to the Brazilian Federal Police.

Foreigner Identity Card and Tax Payer Registry (CPF):

RNE – Foreigner Identity Card

Information about applying for a Foreigner Identity Card can be found on the website of the Brazilian Federal Police. This document has the same validity as the national identity card (RG) issued for Brazilian nationals. For information in English, please visit the official government’s website.


The Cadastro de Pessoa Fisica (CPF) is the national individual taxpayer registry issued for residents and non-residents who wish to have assets entitled to taxes in Brazil. If you are in the UK, you can apply for it through the Brazilian Consulate in London, otherwise you must contact Receita Federal (Brazilian Customs and Revenue).


For information on whether you can continue to or apply for benefits whilst living abroad please visit the following links:

Please be aware that British Consulates do not sign as “witness” life certificates anymore; therefore you must check the list of people who can witness a life certificate. This is now the same as the list of people who can ‘countersign’ a passport photo, although they do not need to live in the UK, or hold a British or Irish passport.

Driving licences and vehicles

According to the Vienna Convention, holders of UK driving licences are allowed to drive in Brazil for 180 days, counting from the day they enter the country, as far as they have their original passport and original valid driving licence with them. After this period, please contact the nearest DETRAN office to apply for the recognition of your driving licence.


Information about taxation in Brazil can be obtained from the Secretariat of the Federal Revenue of Brazil.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy by the relevant local authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. The FCO and the British Embassy will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. British nationals wishing to obtain any further information must contact the relevant local authority.

Published 8 January 2014
Last updated 5 April 2018 + show all updates
  1. Updated April 2018
  2. First published.