Living in Luxembourg

Official information for UK nationals moving to or living in Luxembourg, including guidance on residency, healthcare and passports.

What you should do

You should:


You should follow the advice of the Luxembourg Government and your local authority. You can also read our Luxembourg travel advice for our latest guidance.

For information on getting a COVID-19 vaccine as a UK national in Luxembourg see our coronavirus travel advice.

Stay up to date

You should:

The Withdrawal Agreement

If you were legally resident in Luxembourg before 1 January 2021,  your rights will be protected by the Withdrawal Agreement.

You must apply for a new residence status by 30 June 2021 to secure your rights.

You should also read our guidance on living in Europe.

Visas and residency

UK nationals who were resident in Luxembourg before 1 January 2021 need to apply for a new residence document in line with the Withdrawal Agreement by 30 June 2021.

If you have previously registered as a resident, you must complete an application form to obtain the new document from the Immigration Department in Luxembourg City. Read the Luxembourg government’s guidance on the application process and complete the application form at the bottom of the page.

If you moved to Luxembourg before 1 January 2021 and are still in the process of registering your residency, you should have received an address registration certificate (déclaration d’enregistrement) from the Commune. You can use this certificate to apply for the new document, in line with the Withdrawal Agreement.

If you require a criminal record check (‘casier judiciaire’), you must apply for a police certificate from the ACRO Criminal Records Office. If you have never resided in the UK, please record this in the ‘additional information’ section on the application form.

Moving to Luxembourg

Check entry requirements for Luxembourg and read the Luxembourg government’s guidance on registering in Luxembourg.

Passports and travel

You should carry your residence document as well as your valid passport when you travel. If you have applied but not yet received your document, carry your certificate of application.

If you have not yet applied for a residence document, you should carry evidence that you are resident in Luxembourg. This could include a tenancy agreement or a utility bill in your name, dating from 2020.

If you cannot show that you are resident in Luxembourg, you may be asked additional questions at the border to enter the Schengen area, and your passport may be stamped. This will not affect your rights in Luxembourg.


Check your passport is valid for travel before you book your trip. You can apply for or renew your British passport from Luxembourg.

You must have at least 6 months left on an adult or child passport to travel to most countries in Europe (not including Ireland). This requirement does not apply if you are in scope of the Withdrawal Agreement.

If you renewed your current passport before the previous one expired, extra months may have been added to its expiry date. Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the 6 months needed.

Renew your passport before booking your travel if you do not have enough time left on your passport.

As a non-EEA national, different border checks will apply when travelling to other EU or Schengen area countries. You may have to use separate lanes from EU, EEA and Swiss citizens when queueing. You may also need to show a return or onward ticket.

Entry requirements

You can travel to other Schengen area countries for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa for purposes such as tourism.

To stay for longer than 90 days in any 180-day period, to work or study, or for business travel, you must meet the entry requirements set out by the country you are travelling to. This could mean applying for a visa or work permit.

Periods of time authorised by a visa or permit will not count towards your 90-day visa-free limit.

Different rules will apply to EU countries that are not part of the Schengen area. Check each country’s travel advice page for information on entry requirements.

Travel to the UK and Ireland has not changed.

Driving in Luxembourg

You should convert your UK licence to a Luxembourg one.

Read the Luxembourg government’s guidance on driving licences.

For information on driving in Luxembourg, read our guidance on:

Driving in the UK with a Luxembourg licence

You can use your Luxembourgish licence in the UK for short visits, or exchange it for a UK licence without taking a test. We will update these pages if there are any changes to the rules, as soon as information is available.

Bringing a UK-registered vehicle to Luxembourg

Read our guidance on taking a vehicle out of the UK. Find out how to change your UK vehicle licence plates to Luxembourg plates.

You can read the EU’s guidance on vehicle registration abroad and importing a vehicle into Luxembourg. You may be exempt from some taxes. If so, you will need certificates of exemption.


Read the guidance on healthcare in Luxembourg and make sure you are correctly registered.

If your UK employer has sent you to Luxembourg temporarily, your access to healthcare is different. Find out how to access healthcare as a posted worker.

State healthcare: S1

If you have a registered S1 form and were living in Luxembourg before 1 January 2021, your rights to access healthcare will stay the same if you are either:

  • receiving a UK State Pension
  • receiving some other ‘exportable benefits’
  • a frontier worker who lives in Luxembourg and commutes to work in the UK

Read our guidance on using an S1 form in Luxembourg to ensure you are correctly registered for healthcare.

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

If you are resident in Luxembourg, you must not use your UK-issued EHIC for healthcare in Luxembourg.

If you were living in Luxembourg before 1 January 2021, you may be eligible for a new UK-issued EHIC if you’re:

  • a UK student in Luxembourg
  • a UK State Pensioner with a registered S1
  • a frontier worker with a registered S1

Apply now for a new UK EHIC.

An EHIC is not a replacement for comprehensive travel insurance.

For more information read our guidance on healthcare when travelling in Europe and advice on foreign travel insurance.

You should also read guidance on:

Working in Luxembourg

If you were legally resident in Luxembourg before 1 January 2021, you have the right to work, as long as you remain legally resident. Read our guidance on working in an EU country.

Check if you need to apply for a UK criminal records certificate, known in Luxembourg as a ‘casier judiciare.’

If you are planning to come to Luxembourg to work, you may need a visa. Read the Luxembourg government’s guidance on how to get a visa and other necessary documents.

Frontier workers

If you live in the UK and were regularly commuting to work in an EU or EFTA country before 1 January 2021, you you may need a permit to prove that you are a frontier worker.

If you live in the UK or another EU or EFTA country and regularly commuted to work in Luxembourg before 1 January 2021, you do not need a frontier worker permit. However, you can apply for one if you wish. Contact the local municipality where you work for more information on what documents you may need to obtain.

Money and tax

The UK has a double taxation agreement with Luxembourg to ensure you do not pay tax on the same income in both countries. You should direct individual taxpayer questions about double-taxation relief to the relevant tax authority.

Existing double taxation arrangements for UK nationals living in Luxembourg have not changed.


You should get professional advice on paying tax in Luxembourg.

National Insurance

Find out if you need to pay National Insurance in the UK or social security contributions in Luxembourg.


Your bank or finance provider should contact you if they need to make any changes to your product or the way they provide it. If you have any concerns, contact your provider or seek independent financial advice.

Read the Money and Pension Service guidance on banking, insurance and financial services changes for more information on cross-border banking.


Read our guidance on entitlement to UK benefits and pensions while you are living in Luxembourg.

You must tell the UK government offices that deal with your benefits, pension and tax if you are moving or retiring abroad.

If you retire in Luxembourg, you can claim:

Read the Money and Pension Service guidance on pension and retirement changes for more information on cross-border pensions.

Life certificates

If you get a ‘life certificate’ from the UK Pension Service, you must respond as soon as possible. Your payments may be suspended if you don’t.


Read our guidance on entitlement to UK benefits and pensions while you are living in Luxembourg.

You must tell the UK government offices that deal with your benefits, pension and tax if you are moving or retiring abroad.

Check which UK benefits you can claim while abroad and how to claim them.

Many income-related benefits such as Pension Credit and Housing Benefit cannot be paid to you if you’re abroad for more than 4 weeks.

You may be eligible to claim some Luxembourg social security benefits – read about Luxembourg social security benefits.

You can request proof of the time you have worked in the UK from HMRC and any social security contributions made if you are asked for this.


If you have been resident in Luxembourg for at least five years, you can vote in local elections in Luxembourg. You cannot vote in national elections in Luxembourg or European Parliament elections.

You may be able to vote in some UK elections. You can:

Births, deaths and getting married or civil partnership

If your child is born in Luxembourg, you will need to register the birth abroad.

If someone dies in Luxembourg, you can:

Find out how you can get married or conduct a civil partnership abroad.

You may also need:

Accommodation and buying property

You can read our guidance on buying a property abroad.


If you have a pet passport issued by Luxembourg or another EU member state, you can use it to travel with your pet to Great Britain and elsewhere in the EU.

A GB-issued EU pet passport is not valid for travel to the EU or Northern Ireland. You should speak to your vet before you travel to get the necessary pet travel documents and ensure you’re compliant with the EU Pet Travel Regulations.

Read guidance on:

Check the rules of the country you’re travelling to for any additional restrictions or requirements before you travel.


You can dial the European emergency number on 112 or you can dial 113 in Luxembourg for the police.

Look at the [full list of emergency numbers in Luxembourg]

If you are the victim of crime, have been arrested, or are affected by a crisis abroad, contact the British Embassy Luxembourg.

Returning to the UK

You must tell the Luxembourg and UK authorities if you are returning to the UK permanently.

To move your pension to the UK, contact the International Pension Centre.

If you receive healthcare in Luxembourg through the S1 form, you must contact the Overseas Healthcare Team on +44 191 218 1999 to make sure your S1 is cancelled at the right time.

Read the guidance on returning to the UK permanently which includes information on, amongst other things, tax, access to services and bringing family members.


Please note that this information is provided as a guide only. Definitive information should be obtained from the Luxembourg authorities. The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information.

Published 17 April 2018
Last updated 12 February 2021 + show all updates
  1. Coronavirus section updated with a link to guidance on vaccines

  2. Updated as the transition period ends with new information on pet travel and moving to Luxembourg.

  3. Passports and travel section updated on carrying proof of residence when travelling.

  4. Healthcare section updated on how to apply for a new UK EHIC as a student or S1 holder. Working section updated with information on frontier workers.

  5. Passports and travel section updated to include information on passport validity and entry requirements when travelling to other European countries from January 2021

  6. Visa and residency section updated with information about how to apply for the new residency document

  7. Brexit update: includes further details on passport validity, healthcare rights and State Pension uprating if the UK leaves the EU with a deal.

  8. Brexit update: healthcare section updated to reflect transitional arrangements announcement

  9. Brexit Update: Update to guidance on exchanging driving licenses

  10. Brexit update: Pensions section updated to include further details on State Pension uprating.

  11. EU Exit update: added new information to the "Passports and travel after the UK leaves the EU" section

  12. EU Exit update: added in new information in healthcare, passports and returning to the UK section

  13. We have updated the contact details you need to apply for an S1 form.

  14. EU Exit update: Updated information on passports. You must use the checker tool to see if your passport is still valid for your trip.

  15. EU Exit update: Added website link to Luxembourg government´s FAQ about Brexit in EU Exit section

  16. EU Exit update - Updated information on access to healthcare.

  17. EU Exit update: updated information on pensions and driving.

  18. EU Exit update: New information in residency and visa section on draft withdrawal agreement in principle between the UK and EU. Plus information on travelling with pets in Europe in pet section.

  19. Updated how UK nationals should register at the local town hall under the ´visas and residency´ section

  20. First published.