Living in Honduras

Advice for British people living in Honduras, including information on health, education, benefits, residence requirements and more.


This guide sets out essential information for British nationals residing in Honduras, including advice on health, education, benefits, residence requirements and more. We are unable to provide any guidance on general lifestyle enquiries apart from the information and links listed below. See the information on our Guatemala page about what consulates can and cannot do for British nationals.


Healthcare is available in Tegucigalpa and San Pedro Sula. Medical care outside the main cities is limited. Medical care in public hospitals is free but sometimes public hospitals experience serious shortages of basic medicines and equipment.

Private medical care is available but can be expensive. So, if travelling and/or living in Honduras, it is advisable to obtain medical insurance. Private hospitals might require payment prior to giving treatment to patients, even if personal medical insurance covers the cost of treatment. All hospitals might ask payment in advance.

More information about the Honduras public health system can be found on the website of the Secretaria de Salud.

The Instituto Hondureño de Seguridad Social has a social security system for registered workers.


The Minstry of Education promotes education in Honduras, verifys educational centres and provides other services related to education.

Employment and recognised qualifications

British Nationals can work in country if authorised to work and have the appropriate permissions to do so. Contact the Honduras Embassy in London for further details.

The Ministry of Work and Social Prevision deals with employment matters in Honduras. For matters related to recognition of educational qualifications, please contact the Ministry of Education.

Entry and residence requirements

British nationals are not required to obtain a Honduran visa to visit as a tourist for short stays but visitors must comply with migration requirements to enter the country for longer periods of time. For information on Honduran migration law, please contact the Embassy of Honduras in London.

If you are in Honduras and need information on Honduras migration rules, please contact the Migration Office. Information on residency in Honduras can be found on the Honduras government website.

Please also visit our travel advice for Honduras.


The Instituto Hondureño de Seguridad Social runs a social security system for registered workers that covers medical attention, medical consultation, examinations and tests. It also includes medical attention in case of accident and in some cases, a state pension. Please also see the information about UK benefits and advice on retiring abroad.

Driving licences and vehicles

For information on driving and driving licences in Honduras, contact the Direccion Nacional de Transito.Further information is available on the requirements, costs and procedure for applying for a driving licence.

The Direccion Ejecutiva de Ingresos has information about tax regulations for importing vehicles to Honduras.


If opening a personal bank account, you will be expected to present documentation to prove that you live in Honduras, your address in Honduras, place of work and the names of people in Honduras who can give references about you. You will also be asked to explain the origin of the funds that will be deposited in your account. For information on the banking rules, please visit the website of the Asociacion Hondureña de Instituciones Bancarias (AHIBA).

The Dirección Ejecutiva de Ingresos has information about tax regulations for Honduras.

Guidance on bringing medication into Honduras

Please contact the Embassy of Honduras in London for information on bringing medication into Honduras.

Sponsoring family members

The Migration Office provides information on sponsoring family members and how to obtain temporary or permanent residency in Honduras.

Social ethics and traditions

For general information about Honduras, please visit the website of the Ministry of Tourism of Honduras.

Returning to the UK

If you are returning to the UK after being a permanent resident, it is important to inform the following local authorities:

Legal advice might be necessary in some cases. The British Embassy provides a list of English speaking lawyers in Honduras.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy by the relevant local authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. The FCO and the British Embassy will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. British nationals wishing to obtain any further information must contact the relevant local authority.

Published 18 November 2013