Safeguarding and social care for children

Child protection, social work, children in care and looked-after children, becoming a social care provider.


  1. The law on leaving your child on their own

    The law doesn't say an age when you can leave a child on their own, but it's an offence to leave a child alone if it puts them at risk

  2. Report child abuse

    Tell the local authority if you're worried that a child is being neglected or abused - call 999 if they’re in immediate danger

  3. Report child abuse to a local council

    If you think a child or young person is at risk or being abused or neglected, contact the children’s social care team at their local council.

  4. Stop someone getting a passport

    You might be able to stop someone getting a passport by applying for a court order - parental child abduction, vulnerable adults

  5. If your child is taken into care

    What happens when a child is taken into care - who is responsible for what, care proceedings, care orders, going to court and the role of Cafcass

See more services in this topic

Guidance and regulation

  1. Coronavirus (COVID-19): safeguarding in schools, colleges and other providers
  2. Ofsted: coronavirus (COVID-19) rolling update
  3. Working together to safeguard children
  4. Coronavirus (COVID-19): guidance for children's social care services
  5. Apply for Step Up to Social Work
See more guidance and regulation in this topic

News and communications

  1. Direction issued to Devon County Council
  2. Direction issued to Croydon council
  3. Direction issued to Kingston upon Hull City Council
  4. Revised direction issued to Stoke-on-Trent City Council
See more news and communications in this topic

Research and statistics

  1. Outcomes for children looked after by local authorities: 31 March 2019
  2. Characteristics of children in need: 2018 to 2019
  3. Northamptonshire children’s services: commissioners’ report
  4. Safeguarding children at risk from criminal exploitation
  5. Analysis of serious case reviews: 2014 to 2017
See more research and statistics in this topic

Policy papers and consultations

  1. Children’s social care providers: inspections regulations 2020 to 2021
  2. Unregulated provision for children in care and care leavers
  3. Restraint and restrictive intervention: draft guidance
  4. Children’s homes workforce: call for evidence
  5. Children’s Social Care Innovation programme
See more policy papers and consultations in this topic

Transparency and freedom of information releases

  1. Local authority interactive tool (LAIT)
  2. Child Safeguarding Practice Review Panel: annual report 2018 to 2019
  3. Inspection outcomes of children's homes
  4. Looked-after children in independent or semi-independent placements
  5. Information-sharing protocol: Ofsted and the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman (LGSCO)
See more transparency and freedom of information releases in this topic