John Manzoni expands on the theme of his recent interview in Civil Service World, about the value of experience in the Civil Service.
Having been recognised on the FT/Timewise Part-time Power List, Cabinet Office’s Deborah Brooks extols the benefits of job sharing.
Sir Jeremy Heywood, looks at the benefits of the Quarterly Data Summary – how it improves decision making and transparency.
Having experimented with Trello, the Civil Service Learning team share 6 things they learned using the tool.
Martin Donnelly discusses effective communication as part of the Leadership Statement which tells that we need to be confident in our engagement.
Are you ready for the new SME procurement changes? Crown Commercial Services tell us what’s new and what you need to know.
- published 13 February 2015
- Policy paper
- published 12 February 2015
- published 3 February 2015
- News story
What we do
The Civil Service helps the government of the day develop and implement its policies as effectively as possible.
Work for us
Civil Service professions
The Civil Service is made up of many professions and includes all kinds of professional – there are currently 25 recognised professions.
Professional leadership of 8 key business areas is being further bolstered through the functional leadership programme. Communication, HR, legal services, commercial services, internal audit, finance, property and IT will each be developed as ‘government services’. Departments will benefit from government wide oversight of these services.
- Corporate Finance Profession
- Government Communication Service
- Government Economic Service
- Government Finance Profession
- Government IT Profession
- Government Knowledge & Information Management Profession
- Government Legal Service
- Government Occupational Psychology Profession
- Government Operational Research Service
- Government Planning Inspectors
- Government Planning Profession
- Government Property Profession
- Government Science and Engineering Profession
- Government Social Research Profession
- Government Statistical Service Profession
- Government Tax Profession
- Government Veterinary Profession
- Human Resources Profession
- Intelligence Analysis
- Internal Audit Profession
- Medical Profession
- Operational Delivery Profession
- Policy Profession
- Procurement Profession
- Project Delivery Profession
- Government Security Profession
Join the conversation
If you went to one of our Civil Service Live learning events, want to know what happened, or want to discuss some of the sessions join our Yammer! group and keep the conversation going. Only accessible to civil servants.
The Civil Service blog publishes news and features about Civil Service reform. It also showcases the work and highlights examples of good practice by civil servants across government.
Civil Service Quarterly
CSQ publishes articles by civil servants about the work they do.
Civil Service Local
Civil Service Local trials new ways of working together, and offers regional learning opportunities and local community projects.
Civil Service Reform
We want to make the Civil Service more skilled, digital and unified. Many aspects of the Civil Service are already world class. However there are lots of areas where it needs to modernise and change in order to provide better services for the public and better value for money to taxpayer
Civil Service Learning
Civil Service Learning provides courses and resources for developing skills common to all UK civil servants in all Civil Service roles.
Civil Service Pensions
This is for current and prospective members of the Civil Service pension arrangements. It also contains links to information for past members who are not yet receiving their pension.
There are also links for pensioners who are already receiving their Civil Service pension.
Contact the Civil Service
Propriety and Civil Service 020 7276 0102
General enquiries 020 7276 1234