Working for the Civil Service
Where will a career in the Civil Service take you?
A career in the Civil Service offers you:
- the opportunity to make a difference to people’s lives in the UK
- learning on the job and good career development opportunities
- flexible working hours and comprehensive benefits
Apply to join the Civil Service
The different routes into the Civil Service include:
- moving directly into a Civil Service job (these can be permanent or fixed-term contracts, full-time or part-time) - you can start a job search now
- a 2-year Civil Service Fast Track apprenticeship programme
- the Civil Service Fast Stream programme for graduates
- the Summer Diversity Internship programme for ethnic minority students, disabled students and those from under-represented socio-economic backgrounds
- the Early Diversity Internship programme for ethnic minority students and those from under-represented socio-economic backgrounds
- the Movement to Work scheme which offers work experience in the Civil Service for unemployed young people
- student placements
Diversity and inclusion
The Civil Service is committed to improving the delivery of public services for everyone in society. Respecting and valuing differences will help to ensure that our policies and services reflect the needs and experiences of the people we serve.
The Civil Service needs a workforce with the very best possible mix of existing and future talent.
The Civil Service Fast Stream is our graduate entry scheme.
It offers talented graduates an accelerated route to leadership in the Civil Service. This short video gives more information about the Civil Service and the type of applicants the Fast Stream is looking for.
The Civil Service Code sets out our core values and the standards of behaviour expected of all civil servants.
Civil Service talent management
Information on the talent management schemes for civil servants is also available.