Notarial and documentary services guide for Uruguay

Documents, certificates, letters and notes available at British Embassy in Uruguay.


The British Embassy can provide some notarial and documentary services for British nationals in Uruguay.

Where local notaries can provide services, the British Embassy will not provide them. In many cases local notaries or lawyers can provide services more cheaply, quickly and conveniently.

Some services may be available by post. You must make an appointment for each service that requires your personal attendance. Use the links after each service to make an appointment.

Before booking, make sure you have selected the correct service and that the document will be accepted by the relevant authority. This could be the local town hall, registry office, tax authorities, immigration office or another authority either in Uruguay, the UK or a third country.

Services we provide in Uruguay

Consular staff in Uruguay can:

  • make a certified copy of a document

  • prepare a document in English or the local language

For information about documents relating to marriage, such as a certificate of no impediment (CNI) and affirmations or affidavits of marital status, see getting married abroad.

If you can’t find the service you are looking for on this page, see other services provided by the British Embassy in Uruguay.

What to bring to your appointment

See the individual services below for details of supporting documents to bring. Make sure you have acceptable proof of address and identity, and payment for any fees. See full list of consular fees.


We accept payment with international Visa, Visa Electron UK, MasterCard, Maestro UK, or cash in Uruguayan Pesos on the day of the appointment.

Proof of address and identity

For all appointments for notarial services you will need to bring acceptable proof of your identity and address.

We accept passports or national identity cards as proof of identity.

We accept a national identity card with your address on it or a utility bill with your name and address as proof of your address.

Make a certified copy of a document

This service is for customers who need certified photocopies of a British passport.

What you will need to bring with you:

Book an appointment to make a certified copy at the British Embassy Montevideo

Prepare a document in English or the local language

This service is for customers who require a signed and stamped version of one of our standard letters.

In a limited number of cases consular staff can write a statement of fact (‘preparing a certificate’) to help British nationals with various local authorities. The wording must be cleared with the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office in London, which means these documents will take longer to prepare.

We can only provide this service if we have proof that the wording/content you require is correct and unambiguous. This service is provided at the discretion of consular staff and we can refuse to provide it. Please contact the consulate before making an appointment.

We can prepare these documents in English or in the local language. Please ensure you select the correct service and note the difference in fees.

What you will need to bring with you:

Book an appointment to prepare a document in English at the British Embassy Montevideo

Book an appointment to prepare a document in Spanish at the British Embassy Montevideo

Other services we provide

The British Embassy has produced an information note, which explains the recognition in English law of a marriage contracted outside the United Kingdom under foreign local law. You can print this Information note: Validity of marriages Marriage Note (PDF, 152 KB, 2 pages) if any foreign government requests it.

The British Embassy has produced an information note on consular certificates also known as “Bajas Consulares” Baja Consular (PDF, 103 KB, 1 page) which you can print if necessary. The British Embassy does not issue such certificates. We can confirm that holders of British passports or passports from other EU countries may reside legally in the UK and that holders of UK visas may also stay in the UK for the period of validity of the visa as long as all entry requirements are met on arrival in country.

The British Embassy does not issue certificates of name. Parents may give their child any forename or surname under UK law. For more details, please see the Information Note Name (PDF, 172 KB, 4 pages) we have produced, which you can print if necessary.

Services provided elsewhere

We no longer witness life certificates for British nationals claiming a British pension abroad. Please refer to the list of people working in a recognised profession Life Certificate Witness Options (PDF, 17.8 KB, 2 pages) who can do this for you.

The British Embassy no longer handles applications for renunciation and naturalisation or registration as a British citizen. All aplications are now handled by the UK Border Agency

Data protection

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office holds and uses data for purposes notified to the Information Commissioner under the Data Protection Act 1998. Such personal data may be disclosed to other UK government departments and public authorities.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy / consulate by the relevant authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. Accordingly the FCDO and the British embassy / consulate will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. For all notarial and legalisation services it is the responsibility of the customer to ascertain the precise requirements of the person requesting the notarial or legalisation service and to satisfy themselves that the service provided by the embassy/consulate will be accepted.

More like this

This is part of a collection

Published 9 April 2013
Last updated 7 September 2015 + show all updates
  1. New text and attachments

  2. New Attached File

  3. First published.