Living in Botswana

Advice for British people living in Botswana, including information on health, education, benefits, residence requirements and more


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the High Commission by the relevant local authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. The FCDO and the British High Commission will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. British nationals wishing to obtain any further information must contact the relevant local authority.


You should follow the advice of the government of Botswana and your local authority. You can also read Botswana travel advice for our latest guidance.

For information on getting a COVID-19 vaccine as a UK national in Botswana, see our coronavirus travel advice.


There are two private hospitals in Gaborone, each of which can provide a reasonable level of medical treatment. Facilities in popular tourist areas (eg Kasane and Maun) are basic. Patients are often referred to South Africa for specialist treatment or more complex emergencies.

Botswana does not have a health agreement with the United Kingdom and visitors to Botswana are advised to apply for travel/medical insurance ahead of their arrival.

For further information please see the Ministry of Health section of the Botswana Government website or call the Public Relations Officer at +267 363 2754.

Useful Websites:


Botswana offers a range of educational opportunities. There are a number of good fee paying private schools for primary school aged children, less so for older children. British Council has an active programme.

Further information can be found at the Botswana Ministry of Education.

Useful websites:

Employment and recognised qualifications

All non-Botswana citizens require a permit to work in Botswana.

Useful websites:

Entry and residence requirements

British National do not require a visa to enter Botswana as a tourist. Please visit the Immigration Department under the Ministry of Labour and Home Affairs website for further information and contact details of your nearest office if you wish to settle or work in Botswana.


Please see the information about UK benefits and advice on retiring abroad.

Driving licences and vehicles

Contact the Department of Road Transport and Safety (DRST) for information on how to obtain a Botswana driver’s licence.

Information on importing vehicles is available at the Botswana Unified Revenue Service (BURS).


Details of banks operating in Botswana and their contact details can be found at the website of the Bank of Botswana.


Cont the Botswana Unified Revenue Service (BURS) for banking information.

Guidance on bringing medication into Botswana

You should contact the Botswana High Commission in London to find out what medication you are allowed to bring into the country.

6 Stratford Place
W1C 1AY.

Tel: 020 7499 0031 - Fax: 020 7495 8595

Sponsoring family members

You should ask the Immigration Department under the ministry of Labour and Home Affairs directly for further advice and information on sponsoring family members to live in Botswana.

Visit the Botswana Government website for information on applying for residence and work permits and the requirements for citizenship.

Leaving Botswana

The Bank of Botswana offers information to persons wishing to emigrate from Botswana. For further information or contact them directly at +267 361 6000

BURS provides information on shipping your property out of Botswana.

Published 12 December 2013
Last updated 22 March 2021 + show all updates
  1. Coronavirus section added with a link to guidance on vaccines.

  2. First published.