Help for British nationals overseas – guidance

Notarial and documentary services guide for Greece

Documents, certificates, letters and notes available at British consulates in Greece


The British consulate can provide a range of notarial and documentary services for British nationals in Greece. Where local notaries can provide services, the British consulate will not provide them. In many cases local notaries or lawyers can provide services more cheaply, quickly and conveniently. Some services may be available by post. You must make an appointment for each service that requires your personal attendance. Use the links after each service to make an appointment. Use the links after each service to make a reservation. A member of staff will contact you to confirm your appointment. Before booking, make sure you have selected the correct service and that the document will be accepted by the relevant authority. This could be the local town hall, registry office, tax authorities, immigration office or another authority either in Greece, the UK or a third country.

Services we provide in Greece

  • legalisation of the signature of the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs
  • make a certified copy of a document
  • issue of a Certificate of Non-Impediment for marriage in Greece
  • various informative notes and letters

For information about documents relating to marriage, such as a certificate of no impediment (CNI) and affirmations or affidavits of marital status, see getting married abroad.
If you can’t find the service you are looking for on this page, see other services provided by the British embassy in Greece

What to bring to your appointment

See the individual services below for details of supporting documents to bring. Make sure you have acceptable proof of address and identity, and payment for any fees. See the full list of consular fees


We accept payment by credit card and cash.

Proof of address and identity

For all appointments for notarial services you will need to bring acceptable proof of your identity and address. We accept passports or national identity cards as proof of identity. We accept the following as proof of your address: If you live in Greece proof of address would usually be your original, valid Greek Registration Certificate (Veveosi Engrafis /Βεβαίωση εγγραφής) or Permanent Residence Certificate (Engrafo Monimis Diamonis/Έγγραφο Μόνιμης Διαμονής). In the absence of either of these documents, you will be expected to provide a recent original of either:

  • utility bills (not ones printed off the internet)
  • bank/building society/credit card statement (not ones printed off the internet)

Make a certified copy of a document

This service is for customers who need certified photocopies of British passports or UK educational documents (only those that have been issued in the UK by a recognised institution and are listed on the Legalisation Office website.

What you will need to bring with you:

  • The original document that you need a certified copy of
  • The correct fee – see the list of fees and by cash or Mastercard/Visa Debit/Credit Card
  • Proof of identity/address

Book an appointment to make a certified copy in the British Embassy in Athens

Prepare a document in English

This service is for customers who require a signed and stamped version of one of our standard letters.

What you will need to bring with you:

  • The correct fee – see the list of fees and payment can be made by cash or Visa/Mastercard debit/credit card.
  • Proof of identity/address – see above what we will accept as proof

Book an appointment to prepare a document in English in British Embassy in Athens

Legalise a document

This service is for customers who require confirmation that the signature, seal or stamp of the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs on a document destined for a non-Hague Commonwealth country is genuine. It does not certify the authenticity of a document or give approval of its content. UK public documents can be legalised by the Legalisation Office.

What you will need to bring with you: * The document to be legalised * The correct fee – see the list of fees and payment by credit card or cash * Proof of identity/address – see above what we will accept as proof

Book an appointment to legalise a document in British Embassy in Athens

Other services we provide

Marriage documents

If you want to get married or enter into a civil partnership in Greece, contact the relevant local authorities to find out about local marriage laws, including what documents you’ll need.

You might be asked to get certain documents from the UK government if you’re a British national. See details of the services we provide in Greece below.

Please check what you need to bring with you and the additional information on getting married abroad, then make an appointment for the service you require.

Certificate of No Impediment for Marriage

This service is for customers who have been asked by the local authorities to provide a certificate of no impediment (CNI) to prove they are allowed to marry. If you need a CNI, you’ll have to give notice of your intended marriage. You need to have been living in Greece for 3 clear days. Your Notice will be displayed in the Embassy for 7 full days and, provided there has been no impediment shown, a CNI can be issued on the 8th day. If you are a resident of Greece you can sign your Notice of Marriage and Affidavit / Affirmation before a local Greek Notary Public instead of coming to the Embassy to do this and then send the documents to us by post for us to display your Notice for 7 days – in this case please contact us for the relevant dual language [English / Greek] forms which will be necessary.

What to bring with you:

If you or your partner have been divorced, widowed or previously in a civil partnership, you’ll also need whichever of the following documents is appropriate:

You’ll also need to provide evidence of nationality or residence if the divorce or dissolution took place outside the UK. You’ll need to get it translated if it’s not in English.

You’ll need to fill in forms for your notice of marriage, and an oath or affidavit (written statement of facts) stating that you’re free to marry. You can download and fill in (but not sign) the forms in advance.

Download ‘Notice of marriage’ (PDF, 96KB) Download ‘Affidavit for marriage’ (PDF, 58KB)

Reserve an appointment to give Notice of Marriage for a CNI in British Embassy

Reserve an appointment to collect a CNI from British Embassy Athens

Services provided elsewhere

We no longer witness life certificates for British nationals claiming a British pension abroad. Please refer to the list of people working in a recognised profession who can do this for you.

Data protection

The Foreign & Commonwealth Office holds and uses data for purposes notified to the Information Commissioner under the Data Protection Act 1998. Such personal data may be disclosed to other UK government departments and public authorities.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy / consulate by the relevant authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. Accordingly the FCO and the British embassy / consulate will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. For all notarial and legalisation services it is the responsibility of the customer to ascertain the precise requirements of the person requesting the notarial or legalisation service and to satisfy themselves that the service provided by the embassy/consulate will be accepted.