Notarial and documentary services guide in Rwanda

Letters, informative notes and documentary services available from the British High Commission Kigali.


British consular officers in Commonwealth countries have no powers under the Commissioners for Oaths Act 1889 to undertake notarial acts, administer oaths or take affidavits which will be effectual in the United Kingdom. As Rwanda is a Commonwealth country, the British High Commission Kigali Rwanda cannot perform notarial acts or legalise documents.

Where there is no specific formal requirement for a notarial service or certificate to be provided by the British high commission, local notaries or lawyers, can usually provide these services. It is essential to check with the relevant authority (eg registry office/tax authorities/local Immigration, Prime Minister’s office etc) either in the UK, Rwanda or a third country, where the document is needed, that the service will be accepted.

The British High Commission Kigali cannot confirm this information, only the relevant authorities can provide this confirmation.


Fees for consular services are paid at the British high commission when you attend for the service. Refunds of consular fees are not given for certificates or consular services that are not accepted by the requesting authority. Fees for consular certificates and documents must be paid in cash only and in local currency.

If you cannot find the service you are looking for in the list below, see the general information on the services we provide at the British High Commission Kigali.

Services we provide

We can provide the following services in Rwanda:

Services we do not provide

We do not provide the following services:

  • get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings.
  • help you enter a country, for example, if you do not have a visa or your passport is not valid, as we cannot interfere in another country’s immigration policy or procedures.
  • give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you
  • get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people.
  • pay any bills or give you money.
  • make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation.
  • make business arrangements on your behalf.
  • issue a full British passport.
  • we do not sign life certificates for DWP pensions (this can be signed by anyone authorised to sign on a British passport application).
  • we do not certify copies of British passports for Tax purposes or as required by Banks in the UK.
  • we do not legalise documents issued by UK authorities (eg UK birth, marriage certificates as this need to be sent to Legalisation Office in the UK.
  • we do not legalise foreign documents for non represented Commonwealth citizens.
  • we do not confirm residency requirements or identity as we do not hold this type of information.

Services provided by other authorities

  • signing life certificates for pensioners receiving pensions from overseas - This can be done by the same people who can ‘countersign’ a passport photo, though they don’t need to live in the UK, or have a passport from a specific country.
  • certifying copies of original documents (Notary public).


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy by the relevant local authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. Accordingly the FCDO and the British High Commission will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. British nationals wishing to obtain any further information must contact the relevant local authority.

Published 6 March 2018
Last updated 9 April 2019 + show all updates
  1. Review of website

  2. First published.

  3. Notarial and documentary services guide in Rwanda