Notarial and documentary services in Uganda

Documentary services available at the British High Commission in Kampala.


The British high commission can provide a limited range of document services for British nationals in Uganda.

For legal reasons, we cannot provide notarial services, administer oaths or take affidavits in Commonwealth countries. You should contact a local notary. A standard letter is available to confirm we do not offer these services in Uganda.

See our informative note on changes to notarial and documentary services in Uganda.

For information about documents relating to marriage, such as affirmations or affidavits of marital status, see getting married abroad.

Dual nationality

Dual citizenship (also known as dual nationality) is allowed in the UK. This means you can be a British citizen and also a citizen of other countries.

Services we provide

Providing a letter in English to facilitate repatriation or cremation in case of death

We can provide a letter to the local authorities to facilitate a local cremation or a Laissez-Passer for remains which are being repatriated to the UK.

The wording must be cleared with The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office in London, which means these documents will take longer to prepare.

We can only provide this service if we have proof that the wording/content you require is correct and unambiguous. This service is provided at the discretion of consular staff and we can refuse to provide it. Contact the British High Commission Kampala before making an appointment.

What you will need to bring with you:

  • the wording or content and proof it is correct and unambiguous
  • proof of identity/address. We accept passports or national identity cards as proof of identity. We accept We accept a letter from your Local Council as proof of your address
  • the correct fee – see the list of fees. We accept payment by cash in the local currency on the day of the appointment

Book an appointment to prepare a document in English in Kampala

Services provided elsewhere

Legalise a document

This service is for customers who require confirmation that the signature or seal on a document is genuine. It does not certify the authenticity of a document or give approval of its content. UK public documents can be legalised by the Legalisation Office.

Witness life certificates

We no longer witness life certificates for British nationals claiming a British pension abroad. Please refer to the list of people working in a recognised profession who can do this for you.

Certifying copies of British passports and other documents

Certifying copies of British passports and other documents can be done by a local Notary Public.

Data protection

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office holds and uses data for purposes notified to the Information Commissioner under the Data Protection Act 1998. Such personal data may be disclosed to other UK government departments and public authorities.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the High Commission by the relevant authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. Accordingly the FCDO and the British High Commission will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. For all notarial and legalisation services it is the responsibility of the customer to ascertain the precise requirements of the person requesting the notarial or legalisation service and to satisfy themselves that the service provided by the High Commission will be accepted.

Published 4 April 2013
Last updated 4 April 2018 + show all updates
  1. Guidance updated

  2. Updated guide for documentary services provided by the British High Commission in Kampala

  3. The Consular section in Kampala no longer certifies copies of British passports.

  4. First published.