Notarial and documentary services guide for the Philippines

Documents, certificates, services available at British Embassy in Manila.


The British Embassy Manila can provide a range of notarial and documentary services for British nationals in the Philippines.

Where local notaries can provide services, the British embassy will not provide them. In many case local notaries or lawyers can provide services more cheaply, quickly and conveniently. We have produced an information note to explain our policy.

You must make an appointment for each service that requires your personal attendance. Please use the links after each service to make an appointment. Some services are available by local courier only.

Before booking an appointment or sending your documents, make sure you have selected the correct service and that the document will be accepted by the relevant authority. This could be the local town hall, registry office, tax authorities, immigration office or another authority either in the Philippines, the UK or a third country.

Services we provide in the Philippines

Consular staff in the Philippines can:

For information about documents relating to marriage, please see getting married abroad.

If you can’t find the service you are looking for on this page, please see services provided elsewhere.

What to bring to your appointment

See the individual services below for details of supporting documents to bring. Make sure you have acceptable proof of address and identity, and payment for any fees. Some services are only available by courier.


See the full list of consular fees

We accept payment by Visa/Mastercard in Pounds Sterling (£) or cash in Philippine Peso (=P=) on the day of the appointment. Refunds of consular fees are not given for notarial and documentary services that are not accepted by the requesting authority.

Proof of address and identity

For all appointments for notarial services, you will need to bring acceptable proof of your identity and address.

  • We accept passports as proof of identity.

  • We accept billing statements, immigration cards, or a letter from your employer as proof of your address.

Administer an oath, affirmation or affidavit

This service is only for customers who will need to make an affirmation or affidavit of marital status in order to get married or register their civil partnership in the Philippines. See getting married abroad to find out what you need to do.

The consulate will not draft documents for you. Please download the relevant template found in our marriage in the Philippines guidance and type and print this off a computer on A4 size paper. You may adjust font size or margin size as needed.

Customers must read this information sheet for complete guidelines.

What you will need to bring with you:

Signed checklist and complete supporting documents are found in this link.

For information on recognition or validity of marriage, please download this note.

Book an appointment for affidavit or affirmation of marital status at the British Embassy Manila

Make a certified copy of a document

This service is for customers who need certified photocopies of British passports.

British passports

British passports are the only documents the consulate can certify. We are unable to certify UK birth, death, and marriage documents due to copyright reasons. You will need to have these documents legalised by the Legalisation Office in the UK first, then by the Philippine Embassy in London, before they can be used in the Philippines.

What you will need to bring with you:

Book an appointment to make a certified copy at the British Embassy Manila

Minor child’s passport

If you require a certified copy of your minor child’s passport you must provide written authority from both parents together with your original passports. Your minor child does not have to be present provided both parents are present and provide evidence you are related as claimed. Where only one parent can be present, you must provide a letter of authorisation from the absent parent plus their original passport.

What you will need to send:

  • a covering letter explaining what the document/certificate is to be used for

  • minor child’s original valid British passport

  • written authority from both parents together with your original passports

  • evidence you are related as claimed

  • proof of identity/address

  • consular fee 6

  • pre-paid courier envelope for the return of all original documents and the certificate issued by the consulate

We aim to complete the service within three working days of receiving complete supporting documents and fees.

Convert a civil partnership to marriage

This service is for couples who wish to convert an existing civil partnership into marriage. For information on getting married or entering into a civil partnership, see getting married abroad.

You do not need to have formed your civil partnership in the Philippines, but you must have been living here for 28 days.

We can convert civil partnerships formed between a British national and a partner of any nationality.

Read what you need to know about converting a civil partnership and then book your appointment using the link below.

What you will need to bring with you:

  • original British passport

  • original passport of your partner

  • original civil partnership certificate

  • proof of residence, such as an employer’s letter or bank statement

  • consular fees 12 and 15

Book an appointment to convert a civil partnership to marriage at the British Embassy Manila

Prepare a document in English or the local language


If you are not habitually resident in the UK, you will not be adopting under UK adoption law, you will need to follow the adoption process in the country where the adoption is being conducted. You will require a letter of no objection which merely states that you are not habitually resident in the UK and that therefore the British Embassy in Manila has no further role in your undertaking an adoption abroad. Click here for guidance on Inter country adoption and list of designated countries.

For more details, please see our information on adoption in the Philippines

You do not need to visit the consulate in person. You must send documents and payment via a secure local courier to the British Embassy Manila. Please do not send documents by post.

What you will need to send:

  • a covering letter explaining what the document/certificate is to be used for

  • a sworn statement from a lawyer. The suggested standard wording for such statement is: “I confirm that I have received independent legal advice and with reference to all circumstances of my particular case and in light of existing UK law, I can confirm that I am not habitually resident in the British Isles”

  • a clear copy of the adoptive parent’s valid British passport

  • consular fee 2i

  • pre-paid courier envelope for the return of all original documents and the certificate issued by the consulate

We aim to complete the service within three working days of receiving complete supporting documents and fees.

Download information note

We have produced the following information note that you can download free of charge to present to the local authorities

Services provided elsewhere

Life Certificates

We no longer provide life certificates for British nationals claiming a British pension abroad. Please refer to the list of people working in a recognised profession who can do this for you.

Renunciation and Naturalisation or Registration as a British citizen

We also no longer handle applications for renunciation and naturalisation or registration as a British citizen. All applications are now handled by the UK Visas and Immigration.

Legalise a signature or seal

Legalisation is the official confirmation that a signature, seal or stamp on a document is genuine – an essential part in the preparation of UK public documents for use overseas. Legalisation does not certify the authenticity of a document, nor does it endorse or approve the contents of a document.

Documents originating in the United Kingdom can be legalised by the Legalisation Office. Once the documents have been legalised, these should be forwarded for further legalisation or locally known as “authentication” to the Philippine Embassy in London before these can be accepted in the Philippines. Alternatively, the requesting local authority may wish to verify the Apostille certificate issued by the Legalisation Office at

There is no requirement for the British Embassy in Manila to re-legalise or add the Embassy seal/stamp on the Apostille certificate (issued by the Legalisation Office) or authenticated document (issued by the Philippine Embassy London or the Department of Foreign Affairs in the Philippines).

Documents originating in the Philippines do not have to be legalised by Department of Foreign Affairs before they can be accepted in the UK.

If you have any queries, please write to us at

UK degree certificates

The British Council in the Philippines can provide the certification services. For more information, please call +63 (2) 555 3000 or email them at

UK birth, death & marriage certificates

Please visit General Register Office website to order a copy of a UK birth, adoption, death, marriage or civil partnership certificate.

UK police certificates

Please visit Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) website to apply for UK police certificates.

UK driving licences

Please visit DVLA website for information on how to renew UK driving licences.

Certify your fingerprints

Please visit the Metropolitan Police UK website for more information.

Pension certificates

Please visit State pension to know how to get and claim State pension.

Taxation and UK national insurance contributions certificates

Please visit HMRC website for more information.

Good conduct certificates (except for Hong Kong)

Please visit Disclosure and Barring Services previously CRB website for more information.

Certificates confirming British nationality

Please visit UK Visas and Immigration website for more information.

Philippine documents

Please visit the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) website for information on authenticating Philippine documents.

Services provided by an English-speaking lawyer in the Philippines:

  • witness signatures/administer declarations on powers of attorney
  • witness signatures /administer declarations on wills (unless it is a court probate document)
  • witness signatures/administer declarations on company documents
  • witness signatures/administer declarations on name change deed polls and similar documents
  • certificates or statements of law in the UK
  • certified photocopies of foreign documents including passports, educational documents and ID documents
  • certify your identity for British banks, building societies and other institutions
  • other local professionals may sign life certificates for state pension requirements. To check the required criteria, please visit our information on state pensions.

Data Protection Act

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office holds and uses data for purposes notified to the Information Commissioner under the Data Protection Act 1998. Such personal data may be disclosed to other UK government departments and public authorities.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy by the relevant authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. Accordingly the FCO and the British embassy will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. For all notarial and legalisation services it is the responsibility of the customer to ascertain the precise requirements of the person requesting the notarial or legalisation service and to satisfy themselves that the service provided by the embassy/consulate will be accepted.

Published 11 April 2013
Last updated 17 November 2017 + show all updates
  1. Visa or Mastercard payment option is now available
  2. Information on British Council for certifying UK degree certificates
  3. changes on legalisation or authentication services
  4. Amendment: requirements for letter of no objection
  5. Changes on the sevices and mode of application
  6. Added DPA information and disclaimer
  7. Amendment on links
  8. Change on opening hours
  9. First published.