Netherlands: notarial and documentary services

How someone in the Netherlands can get documents legalised, witnessed or certified, take an oath of British citizenship and obtain informative notes.


The British Embassy The Hague can provide a range of notarial and documentary services for British nationals in the Netherlands and countries in the Dutch Caribbean.

Where local notaries can provide services, the British Embassy will not provide them. In many cases local notaries or lawyers can provide services more cheaply, quickly and conveniently.

You must make an appointment for each service that requires your personal attendance. Please use the links after each service to make an appointment.

Before booking, make sure you have selected the correct service and that the document will be accepted by the relevant authority. This could be the local town hall, registry office, tax authorities, immigration office or another authority either in the Netherlands, the UK or a third country.

Services we provide in the Netherlands

Consular staff in the Netherlands can:

  • administer an oath, affirmation or affidavit - not relating to a will, probate, deed poll or marriage
  • witness a signature - not relating to a will, probate, deed poll or marriage
  • make a certified copy of a document - British passports only

If you can’t find the service you are looking for on this page, please see other services provided by British Embassy The Hague.

Marriage documents

If you want to get married or enter into a civil partnership in the Netherlands contact the relevant local authorities to find out about local marriage laws, including what documents you’ll need.

If you are asked to get certain documents from the UK government because you’re a British national please print off and present this letter below to the Dutch authorities which explains that the British Embassy does not and cannot provide documentation to British nationals proving you are free to marry.

Netherlands: explanatory letter on marriage

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology.

Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

What to bring to your appointment

See the individual services below for details of supporting documents to bring. Make sure you have acceptable proof of address and identity, and payment for any fees. See the full list of consular fees.


We accept payment by Visa, MasterCard, or cash in the local currency on the day of the appointment.

Proof of address and identity

For all appointments for notarial services you will need to bring acceptable proof of your identity and address.

We accept passports, or residence permits as proof of identity.

We accept utility bills, bank statements, tax statements, or an ‘uittreksel’ (extract) from your gemeente (town hall) as proof of your address.

Administer an oath, affirmation or affidavit

This service is for people who need to swear an oath, make an affirmation or make an affidavit in front of a consular officer.

This service is for non-marriage purposes only. See marriage documents above if Dutch authorities ask you to provide certain documents in order to get married in the Netherlands.

What you will need to bring with you:

Book an appointment for an oath, affirmation or affidavit in The Hague

Witness a signature

This service is for customers who need to sign a document and have their signature witnessed by a consular officer. The document must be prepared before your appointment as we will not draft documents for you. We do not handle wills or probate, or witness deed polls.

Please do not sign the document before your appointment.

What you will need to bring with you:

Book an appointment for witnessing a signature in The Hague

Make a certified copy of a British passport

This service is for customers who need certified photocopies of British passports only. What you will need to bring with you for a certified copy of a British passport:

Book an appointment for a certified copy in The Hague

Services provided elsewhere

We no longer provide life certificates for British nationals claiming a British state pension abroad. Please refer to the list of people working in a recognised profession who can do this for you.

Data protection

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) holds and uses data for purposes notified to the Information Commissioner under the Data Protection Act 1998. Such personal data may be disclosed to other UK government departments and public authorities.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy / consulate by the relevant authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. Accordingly the FCDO and the British embassy / consulate will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. For all notarial and legalisation services it is the responsibility of the customer to ascertain the precise requirements of the person requesting the notarial or legalisation service and to satisfy themselves that the service provided by the embassy/consulate will be accepted.

Published 16 April 2013
Last updated 29 March 2020 + show all updates
  1. Updated services information in light of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

  2. Removed the reference to British Council legalising educational documents as this service is no longer provided in the Netherlands.

  3. We longer issues certified copies of UK educational documents.

  4. Added information re: birth and death registrations, and removed phone number.

  5. First published.