Sweden: notarial and documentary services

How someone in Sweden can get documents legalised, witnessed or certified, take an oath of British citizenship and obtain informative notes.


The British embassy can provide some notarial and documentary services for British nationals in Sweden.

Where local notaries can provide services, the British embassy will not provide them. In many cases local notaries can provide services more cheaply, quickly and conveniently. Further local notaries in Sweden can also be found if you search for ‘notarius publicus’ on these websites - Hitta and Eniro.

You must make an appointment for each service that requires your personal attendance. Please follow the instructions after each service to make an appointment.

Before booking, make sure you have selected the correct service and that the document will be accepted by the relevant authority. This could be the local town hall, registry office, tax authorities, immigration office or another authority either in Sweden, the UK or a third country.

Services we provide in Sweden

Consular staff in Sweden can:

  • make a certified copy of a British passport
  • issue documents to British nationals in Sweden for marriage purposes - see marriage documents

If you can’t find the service you are looking for on this page, please see other services provided by the British Embassy in Sweden.

What to bring to your appointment

See the individual services below for details of supporting documents to bring. Make sure you have acceptable proof of address and identity, and payment for any fees. See the full list of consular fees.


We accept payment by Visa, MasterCard or cash in the local currency on the day of the appointment.

Proof of address and identity

For all appointments for notarial services you will need to bring acceptable proof of your identity and address.

We accept passport, driving licence or ID card as proof of identity.

We accept extracts from the population register as proof of your address.

If you need a Certificate of No Impediment (CNI) to get married in Sweden, it is because you are not registered here. If you are not registered in Sweden, you should bring your partner’s extract from the population register as proof of address, or show proof of address from the country where you reside.

Make a certified copy of a British passport

This service is for customers who need certified photocopies of British passports.

What you will need to bring with you:

Book an appointment for a certified copy of a British passport

Marriage documents

If you want to get married or enter into a civil partnership in Sweden, contact the relevant local authorities to find out about local marriage laws, including what documents you’ll need.

You might be asked to get certain documents from the UK government if you’re a British national. See details of the certificate of no impediment service we provide in Sweden below.

Certificate of no impediment for marriage

This service is for customers who have been asked by the local authorities to provide a certificate of no impediment (CNI) to prove they are allowed to marry.

If you need a CNI, you’ll have to give notice of your intended marriage. You need to have been living in Sweden for 3 clear days.

The CNI can be issued 8 days after you give notice of marriage as long as no objection to the said marriage has been shown to exist. This means that you need to wait for 8 days after you visit the embassy for the first time to collect your CNI.

After you receive your CNI, you need to take it to the Swedish tax authorities to be registered.

When you give notice of intended marriage, you will need to swear or affirm an oath. If you would like to swear on a holy book (religious), you need to bring your own holy book.

If you need a CNI to get married in Sweden, it is because you are not registered in Sweden. If you are not registered in Sweden, you should bring your partner’s extract from the population register as proof of address, or proof of address from the country that you are residing in.

What to bring with you:

If you or your partner have been divorced, widowed or previously in a civil partnership, you’ll also need whichever of the following documents is appropriate:

You’ll also need to provide evidence of nationality or residence if the divorce or dissolution took place outside the UK. You’ll need to get it translated if it’s not in English.

You’ll need to fill in forms for your notice of marriage, and an oath or affidavit (written statement of facts) stating that you’re free to marry.

Book an appointment for a CNI in Stockholm

Services provided elsewhere

We no longer provide life certificates for British nationals claiming a British pension abroad. Please refer to the list of people working in a recognised profession who can do this for you.

Data protection

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office holds and uses data for purposes notified to the Information Commissioner under the Data Protection Act 1998. Such personal data may be disclosed to other UK government departments and public authorities.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy / consulate by the relevant authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. Accordingly the FCDO and the British embassy / consulate will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. For all notarial and legalisation services it is the responsibility of the customer to ascertain the precise requirements of the person requesting the notarial or legalisation service and to satisfy themselves that the service provided by the embassy/consulate will be accepted.

Published 5 April 2013
Last updated 4 February 2015 + show all updates
  1. updated notarial services guide

  2. Updated information

  3. removed forwarding marriage records to Registrar General from the list of services provided

  4. Updated the list of services provided in Sweden, and the overview of Notarial and Documentary services.

  5. First published.