Slovenia: notarial and documentary services

How someone in Slovenia can get documents certified, take an oath of British citizenship and view informative notes.


The British embassy can provide a range of notarial and documentary services for British nationals in Slovenia.

Where local notaries can provide services, the British Embassy will not provide them. In many cases local notaries or lawyers can provide services more cheaply, quickly and conveniently.

Some services may be available by post. You must make an appointment for each service that requires your personal attendance. Use the links after each service to make an appointment.

Before booking, make sure you have selected the correct service and that the document will be accepted by the relevant authority. This could be the local town hall, registry office, tax authorities, immigration office or another authority either in Slovenia, the UK or a third country.

Services we provide in Slovenia

Consular staff in Slovenia can:

  • administer an oath, affirmation or affidavit
  • make a certified copy of a document

For information about documents relating to marriage, such as a certificate of no impediment (CNI) and affirmations or affidavits of marital status, see getting married abroad.

If you can’t find the service you are looking for on this page, see other services provided by the British Embassy in Slovenia.

What to bring to your appointment

See the individual services below for details of supporting documents to bring. Make sure you have acceptable proof of address and identity, and payment for any fees. See the full list of consular fees.


We accept payment by cash in euros on the day of the appointment.

Proof of address and identity

For all appointments for notarial services you will need to bring acceptable proof of your identity and address.

We accept passports or national identity cards as proof of identity.

We accept original, valid residence permit issued by Migration Directorate, as proof of your address. In the absence of this document you will be expected to provide a recent original of one of the following documents:

  • utility bill (not one printed off the internet)
  • bank/credit card statement (not one printed off the internet)
  • police report if residence permit has been lost/stolen/damaged

Administer an oath, affirmation or affidavit

This service is for people who need to swear an oath, make an affirmation or make an affidavit in front of a consular officer.

You may need to make an affirmation or affidavit of marital status in order to get married in Slovenia. See getting married abroad to find out what you need to do.

The consulate will not draft documents for you. First check with the consulate what format they need and then have the document drawn up or checked by a professional.

What you will need to bring with you:

Book an appointment to administer an oath, affirmation or affidavit in Slovenia

Make a certified copy of a document

This service is for customers who need certified photocopies of British passports, Home Office registration/naturalisation certificates, UK educational documents (only those that have been issued in the UK by a recognised institution and are listed on the Legalisation Office website), British driving licences (both the plastic card and paper document are required) and British divorce decrees.

We are NOT able to provide certified photocopies of the following:

  • any foreign documents including ID documents, passports and driving licences
  • British marriage, birth and death certificates. You should apply to the General Register Office for copies of these documents

What you will need to bring with you:

Book an appointment to make a certified copy in Slovenia

Services provided elsewhere

We no longer witness life certificates for British nationals claiming a British pension abroad. Please refer to the list of people working in a recognised profession who can do this for you.

The services below may be provided by other authorities:

The British embassy no longer handles applications for renunciation and naturalisation or registration as a British Citizen. All applications are now handled by the UK Visas & Immigration.

Services provided by local Slovenian notaries or lawyers

  • witnessing signatures/administering declarations on Powers of Attorney
  • witnessing signatures/administering declarations on wills
  • witnessing signatures/administering declarations on company documents
  • witnessing signatures on affidavits, affirmations and declarations

Please see the list of List of English-speaking notaries in Slovenia (PDF, 38KB, 1 page) and local lawyers or use the European Directory of Notaries in order to find an English-speaking notary in your nearest city.

Data protection

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office holds and uses data for purposes notified to the Information Commissioner under the Data Protection Act 1998. Such personal data may be disclosed to other UK government departments and public authorities.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy by the relevant authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. Accordingly the FCDO and the British embassy will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information.

For all notarial and legalisation services it is the responsibility of the customer to ascertain the precise requirements of the person requesting the notarial or legalisation service and to satisfy themselves that the service provided by the embassy will be accepted.

Published 10 April 2013
Last updated 16 October 2013 + show all updates
  1. Updated the documentary and notarial services guide to include the new appointment making system guidance.

  2. First published.