Notarial and documentary services guide for Peru

Documents, certificates, letters available at the British consulate in Peru.


Due to local restrictions following the COVID-19 global pandemic, the British Embassy building remains closed, although staff continue to work remotely. We are therefore unable to provide notarial services at this time. If your enquiry is urgent, contact the consular team on our contact form.

The British consulate can provide a range of notarial and documentary services for British nationals in Peru. For all non-urgent consular appointments, email

Where local notaries can provide services, the British consulate will not provide them. In many cases local notaries or lawyers can provide services more cheaply, quickly and conveniently.

Before booking, make sure you have selected the correct service and that the document will be accepted by the relevant authority. This could be the local town hall, registry office, tax authorities, immigration office or another authority either in Peru, the UK or a third country.

Services we provide in Peru

Consular staff in Peru can:

  • administer an oath, affirmation or affidavit

  • make a certified copy of a document

What to bring to your appointment

See the individual services below for details of supporting documents to bring. Make sure you have acceptable proof of address and identity, and payment for any fees. See the full list of consular fees


We accept payment by credit card (Visa or Mastercard only) or in cash in soles on the day of the appointment.

Proof of address and identity

For all appointments for notarial services you will need to bring acceptable proof of your identity and address.

We accept passports or national identity cards as proof of identity.

We accept documents such as utility bills as proof of your address.

Administer an oath, affirmation or affidavit

This service is for people who need to swear an oath, make an affirmation or make an affidavit in front of a consular officer.

You may need to make an affirmation or affidavit of marital status in order to get married in Peru. See getting married abroad to find out what you need to do.

The consulate will not draft documents for you. First check with the consulate what format they need and then have the document drawn up or checked by a professional. The document must be signed before a consular officer.

What you will need to bring with you:

  • the oath, affirmation or affidavit that you will swear or affirm
  • the correct fee – see the list of fees
  • proof of identity and address

For all non-urgent consular appointments, email

Make a certified copy of a document

This service is for customers who need certified photocopies of British passports and British driving licences (both the plastic card and paper document are required).

What you will need to bring with you:

  • the document that you need a certified copy of
  • the correct fee – see the list of fees
  • proof of identity and address

For all non-urgent consular appointments, email

Services provided elsewhere

Declaration of existence

We no longer witness life certificates for British nationals claiming a British pension abroad. View the list of people working in a recognised profession (PDF, 18 KB) who can do this for you.

Change of name and/or surname in the UK

As of 4 November 2013, we no longer provide the “Informative Note: Change of name and/or surname in the UK”. The relevant authorities have been notified. Alternatively you can submit a Freedom of Information Request to HM Passport Office, asking for confirmation that you were the holder of your previous passport(s).

Visit HM Passport Office’s website for further information and contact details. British consulates cannot answer any queries on this subject.

Otherwise, you can download this document Explanation of change of name in the United Kingdom (PDF, 82.4 KB, 2 pages)

We do not accept Oaths for Name Changes, including those needed for immigration purposes. You should contact a local notary public for this service.

Data protection

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office holds and uses data for purposes notified to the Information Commissioner under the Data Protection Act 1998. Such personal data may be disclosed to other UK government departments and public authorities.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy / consulate by the relevant authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. Accordingly the FCDO and the British embassy / consulate will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. For all notarial and legalisation services it is the responsibility of the customer to ascertain the precise requirements of the person requesting the notarial or legalisation service and to satisfy themselves that the service provided by the embassy/consulate will be accepted.

Published 12 April 2013
Last updated 4 March 2019 + show all updates
  1. Updated version

  2. Updated on August 2018

  3. Updated August 2018

  4. Update 10.04.2015 on services provided.

  5. UPDATE: Birth and death registrations From 14 January 2015, UK birth registrations and death registrations in Peru will transfer from the British Embassy in Lima to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) in the UK. There are no changes to the entitlement to register a birth or death. The processing time will remain the same. However, you will now need to allow extra time for the documents to be sent to and from the UK. See birth registration and birth certified copies or death registration and death certified copies for more information.

  6. Change in the consular appointment booking system from online to email sytem.

  7. Updated on 16 December 2013 with new guidelines.

  8. added lawyers list

  9. First published.