Notarial and documentary services guide for Malawi

Documents, certificates, letters available at the British High Commission in Malawi.


The British High Commission in Malawi offers limited notarial services as British consular officers in Commonwealth countries have no powers under the Commissioners for Oaths Act 1889 to undertake notarial acts, administer oaths or take affidavits which will be effectual in the United Kingdom.

Letter confirming that we cannot provide notarial services or certificates

You can collect, by appointment, a stamped signed copy of the consular letter confirming that we cannot provide notarial services or certificates. If you are unable to come in person, a third person can come and collect the letter on your behalf. This is a free service and no consular fees are charged. It is not necessary to bring any form of documentation to collect the letter.

Book an appointment to collect this letter at the British High Commission Lilongwe

How to legalise a document

British consular officials in Malawi have no notary powers and cannot certify, notarise or legalise a document. This function is carried out by a local notary or lawyer in Malawi.

If you cannot find what you are looking for please refer below to the list of services which may be provided elsewhere or the British High Commission Lilongwe for a complete list of services in Malawi.

Getting married in Malawi

Please see our information on marriage.

Services provided elsewhere

Data protection

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office holds and uses data for purposes notified to the Information Commissioner under the Data Protection Act 1998. Such personal data may be disclosed to other UK government departments and public authorities.

Published 17 April 2013