Notarial and documentary services guide for Kosovo

Notarial services, certificates, letters and notes available at the British Embassy in Kosovo.


The British consulate can provide a range of notarial and documentary services for British nationals in Kosovo.

Where local notaries can provide services, the British embassy will not provide them. In many cases local notaries or lawyers can provide services more cheaply, quickly and conveniently.

Some services may be available by post. You must make an appointment for each service that requires your personal attendance. Use the links after each service to make an appointment.

Before booking, make sure you have selected the correct service and that the document will be accepted by the relevant authority. This could be the local town hall, registry office, tax authorities, immigration office or another authority either in Kosovo the UK or a third country.

Services we provide in Kosovo

Consular staff in Kosovo can:

  • make a certified copy of a document
  • unite documents
  • convert a civil partnership to marriage

For information about documents relating to marriage, such as a certificate of no impediment (CNI) and affirmations or affidavits of marital status, see getting married abroad.

If you can’t find the service you are looking for on this page, see other services provided by the British embassy in Kosovo.

What to bring to your appointment

See the individual services below for details of supporting documents to bring. Make sure you have acceptable proof of address and identity, and payment for any fees. See the full list of consular fees


We accept payment by Visa, MasterCard, or cash in the local currency on the day of the appointment – on very exceptional circumstances only.

Proof of address and identity

For all appointments for notarial services you will need to bring acceptable proof of your identity and address.

We accept passports or national identity cards as proof of identity.

We accept Kosovan ID cards or residence permits, utility bills and bank statements (received by post, not printed off websites) as proof of your address.

Make a certified copy of a document

This service is for customers who need certified photocopies of British passports, Home Office registration/naturalisation certificates, UK educational documents (only those that have been issued in the UK by a recognised institution and are listed on the Legalisation Office website, British driving licences (both the plastic card and paper document are required) and British divorce decrees.

What you will need to bring with you:

  • the document that you need a certified copy of
  • the correct fee – see the list of fees and payment options above
  • proof of identity and address

Book an appointment to make a certified copy in British Embassy Kosovo

Unite documents

This service joins documents together using ribbon and a seal and is usually only needed for legal reasons.

What you will need to bring with you:

  • the documents to be united
  • the correct fee – see the list of fees and payment options above
  • proof of identity and address

This service is offered only in combination with making a certified copy of a document if your document is more than 1 page long. Therefore there are no separate appointment slots available for it.

Convert a civil partnership to marriage

This service is for couples who wish to convert an existing civil partnership into marriage. For information on getting married or entering into a civil partnership, see getting married abroad.

You do not need to have formed your civil partnership in Kosovo but you must have been living here for 28 days.

We can convert civil partnerships formed between a British national and a partner of any nationality.

Read what you need to know about converting a civil partnership and then book your appointment using the links below.

What you will need to bring with you:

  • your passport
  • your partner’s passport
  • your original civil partnership certificate
  • proof of residence, such as an employer’s letter, bank statement, utility bills, immigration stamps, hotel bills
  • the correct fee – see the list of fees and payment options

Book an appointment to convert a civil partnership to marriage at British Embassy Pristina

Services provided elsewhere

We no longer witness life certificates for British nationals claiming a British pension abroad. View the list of people working in a recognised profession (PDF, 18 KB) who can do this for you

Data protection

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office holds and uses data for purposes notified to the Information Commissioner under the Data Protection Act 1998. Such personal data may be disclosed to other UK government departments and public authorities.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy / consulate by the relevant authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. Accordingly the FCDO and the British embassy will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. For all notarial and legalisation services it is the responsibility of the customer to ascertain the precise requirements of the person requesting the notarial or legalisation service and to satisfy themselves that the service provided by the embassy/consulate will be accepted.

Updates to this page

Published 10 April 2013
Last updated 22 March 2018 + show all updates
  1. Updated on 14 March 2018

  2. First published.

Sign up for emails or print this page