Notarial and documentary services in Jordan

Documents, certificates, letters and notes available at British Embassy in Jordan.


The British Embassy can provide a range of notarial and documentary services for British nationals in Jordan.

Where local notaries can provide services, the British Embassy will not provide them. In many cases local notaries or lawyers can provide services more cheaply, quickly and conveniently.

Some services may be available by post. You must make an appointment for each service that requires your personal attendance. Please use the links after each service to make an appointment.

Before booking, make sure you have selected the correct service and that the document will be accepted by the relevant authority. This could be the local town hall, registry office, tax authorities, immigration office or another authority either in Jordan, the UK or a third country.

Services we provide in Jordan

Consular staff in Jordan can:

  • administer a single declaration for an Islamic Marriage
  • make a certified copy of a British passport

If you can’t find the service you are looking for on this page, please see other services provided by the British embassy in Jordan.

What to bring to your appointment

See the individual services below for details of supporting documents to bring. Make sure you have acceptable proof of identity, and payment for any fees. See the full list of consular fees


We accept payment by cash in the local currency on the day of the appointment.

Proof of identity

For all appointments for notarial services you will need to bring acceptable proof of your identity. We accept passports or national identity cards as proof of identity.

Make a certified copy of a British passport

This service is for customers who need certified photocopies of British passports.

What you will need to bring with you:

Book an appointment for certified copies at the British Embassy Amman

Getting married in Jordan

In order to get married in Jordan you may need to obtain a Single Declaration or Marital Affidavit depending on the type of marriage ceremony you wish to have. There are no civil marriages in Jordan, but you can get married through a religious ceremony at a church or Sharia court. See getting married abroad to find out what you need to do.

Services provided elsewhere

Local lawyers can provide the following services:

  • witnessing signatures or administering declarations on powers of attorney
  • witnessing signatures or administering declarations on wills
  • witnessing signatures or administering declarations on company documents
  • witnessing signatures or administering declarations on name change deed polls and similar documents
  • certificates or statements of law in the UK
  • certified photocopies of British passports, UK educational documents (including those issued in the UK by a recognised institution and listed in the Legalisation Office website), British driving licences, British divorce decrees and foreign documents including passports, educational documents and ID documents
  • certifying your identity for British banks, building societies and other institutions


The British Embassy will not legalise foreign (non-UK) documents for use in the UK.  The 1961 Hague Convention abolished the requirement for full legalisation of documents that are destined for use in Hague convention Countries, of which the UK is one. Adding an Embassy stamp adds no value or proof of the authenticity to a document or its contents. UK Authorities should accept foreign documents which have been legalised by their country’s Ministries or Authorities. 

If you require legalised UK documents for use in Jordan, the document will need to be legalised by the FCDO Legalisation Office in the UK and by the Jordanian Embassy in London. This will allow the Jordanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs to legalise the document as the final step in this process.

The British Embassy Amman does not provide notarial and documentary services to Commonwealth citizens in countries where they have no diplomatic representation unless there is a clear UK connection to the document or service.

Copies of certificates

For copies of British birth, death and marriage certificates, visit the General Register Office.

The British Embassy no longer handles applications for renunciation and naturalisation or registration as a British citizen. All applications are now handled by the UK Border Agency.

Certificates of good conduct

“Certificates of good conduct” or “police clearance certificates” can be obtained from the Metropolitan Police website.

Life certificates

The Department of Work and Pensions has made changes to who can witness a ‘proof of life certificate’. Please follow the instructions on our website.

Data protection

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office holds and uses data for purposes notified to the Information Commissioner under the Data Protection Act 1998. Such personal data may be disclosed to other UK government departments and public authorities.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy / consulate by the relevant authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. Accordingly the FCDO and the British embassy / consulate will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. For all notarial and legalisation services it is the responsibility of the customer to ascertain the precise requirements of the person requesting the notarial or legalisation service and to satisfy themselves that the service provided by the embassy/consulate will be accepted.

Published 10 April 2013
Last updated 16 July 2018 + show all updates
  1. The list of services provided by the British Consulate in Amman has been updated.

  2. First published.