Notarial and documentary services guide for Japan

We may be able to offer notarial services, including administering an oath or affidavit and making a certified copy of a document.


The British Embassy Tokyo can provide a limited range of notarial and documentary services for British nationals in Japan.

Where local notaries or lawyers can provide services, the British Embassy will not provide them.

You must make an appointment for each service. Use the links after each service to make an appointment.

Before booking, make sure you have selected the correct service and that the document will be accepted by the relevant authority. This could be the local town hall, registry office, tax authorities, immigration office or another authority either in Japan, the UK or a third country.

Services we provide in Japan

Consular staff at the British Embassy Tokyo can:

  • make a certified copy of a UK passport or UK driving licence
  • administer an oath, affirmation or affidavit for the purpose of marriage under Japanese law
  • perform a consular marriage or a civil partnership for same sex couples
  • convert a civil partnership to marriage

If you can’t find the service you are looking for on this page, see other services provided by the British embassy in Japan.

What to bring to your appointment

See the individual services below for details of supporting documents to bring. Make sure you have acceptable proof of address and identity, and payment for all fees.


See the full list of consular fees

Fees will be calculated to the yen equivalent of the pound charge. You can pay by cash, Visa or MasterCard. Refunds of consular fees are not given for certificates or notarial services that are not accepted by the requesting authority.

Proof of address and identity

For all appointments for notarial services you will need to bring acceptable proof of your identity and address.

We accept passports, residence cards, UK or Japanese driving licences, etc. as proof of identity.

We accept residence cards, driving licenses, etc. as proof of your address. We also accept bank statements and utility bills that were issued within three months.

Make a certified copy of a document

If you need a certified copy of your British passport or UK driving license, you will need to submit the original document. We cannot accept copies or scans.

We cannot make certified copies of British birth, marriage or death certificates, which can be obtained from the appropriate local register office or the General Register Office in the UK.

We are not able to certify educational documents e.g. school diplomas. Please contact the Legalisation Office in the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office

We are not able to certify documents issued by Japanese authorities e.g. residence cards or family registers.

What you will need to bring with you:

  • the document that you need a certified copy of
  • the correct fee
  • proof of identity and address

Book an appointment to make a certified copy at British Embassy Tokyo

Opposite Sex Marriage in Japan: Administer an affirmation or affidavit of marital status

We can witness affidavits and affirmations for the purpose of getting married under Japanese law. We no longer issue Certificates of No Impediment.

Please read the Guidance Note (PDF, 721 KB, 4 pages) for marriages in Japan and getting married abroad to prepare and book an appointment.

Same sex marriage in Japan: Consular marriage or civil partnership

This service is for same-sex couples who wish to get married or enter into a civil partnership. For more information and to book an appointment, see getting married abroad.

Convert a civil partnership to marriage

This service is for couples who wish to convert an existing UK civil partnership into marriage.

Please read the Convert a civil partnership into a marriage page and book an appointment below.

Book an appointment to convert a civil partnership to marriage at British Embassy Tokyo

Services provided elsewhere

We no longer witness life certificates for British nationals claiming a British pension abroad. Please refer to the list of people working in a recognised profession who can do this for you.

We will not witness or issue documents for the purpose of registering businesses, purchasing/selling property, confirming addresses, or witnessing a signature as these can be done at local notaries.

Data protection

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office holds and uses data for purposes notified to the Information Commissioner under the Data Protection Act 1998. Such personal data may be disclosed to other UK government departments and public authorities.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy / consulate by the relevant authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. Accordingly the FCDO and the British embassy / consulate will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. For all notarial and legalisation services it is the responsibility of the customer to ascertain the precise requirements of the person requesting the notarial or legalisation service and to satisfy themselves that the service provided by the embassy/consulate will be accepted.

Published 16 April 2013
Last updated 5 January 2022 + show all updates
  1. Marriage in Japan Guidance Note updated

  2. Guidance Note for opposite sex marriage updated

  3. Notarial services resumes from 16 June.

  4. Notice in light of Covid-19

  5. Information on same sex marriage and opposite sex marriage updated

  6. Information updated on certified copies, affidavits & affirmations, and civil partnership conversions

  7. Marriage in Japan guidance updated

  8. Marital Status Document Guidance updated

  9. Updated 25 August 2016

  10. Updated 24 April 2017

  11. Converting a civil partnership to marriage information inserted

  12. No notarial services at the Consulate-General in Osaka

  13. First published.