Notarial and documentary services guide for Greece

Documents, certificates, letters and notes available at British consulates in Greece


The British consulate can provide a range of notarial and documentary services for British nationals in Greece.

Where local notaries can provide services, the British consulate will not provide them. In many cases local notaries or lawyers can provide services more cheaply, quickly and conveniently.

Some services may be available by post. You must make an appointment for each service that requires your personal attendance. Use the links after each service to make an appointment. Use the links after each service to make a reservation. A member of staff will contact you to confirm your appointment.

Before booking, make sure you have selected the correct service and that the document will be accepted by the relevant authority. This could be the local town hall, registry office, tax authorities, immigration office or another authority either in Greece, the UK or a third country.

Services we provide in Greece

  • legalisation of the signature of the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs
  • make a certified copy of a British passport
  • various informative notes and letters

For information about documents relating to marriage, such as a certificate of no impediment (CNI) and affirmations or affidavits of marital status, see getting married abroad.

If you can’t find the service you are looking for on this page, see other services provided by the British embassy in Greece

What to bring to your appointment

See the individual services below for details of supporting documents to bring. Make sure you have acceptable proof of address and identity, and payment for any fees. See the full list of consular fees


We accept payment by credit card and cash.

Proof of address and identity

For all appointments for notarial services you will need to bring acceptable proof of your identity and address.

We accept passports or national identity cards as proof of identity.

We accept the following as proof of your address: If you live in Greece proof of address would usually be your original, valid Greek Registration Certificate (Veveosi Engrafis /Βεβαίωση εγγραφής) or Permanent Residence Certificate (Engrafo Monimis Diamonis/Έγγραφο Μόνιμης Διαμονής). In the absence of either of these, you will be expected to provide a recent original of either:

  • utility bills (not ones printed off the internet)
  • bank/building society/credit card statement (not ones printed off the internet)

Make a certified copy of a British passport

This service is for customers who need certified photocopies of British passports.

What you will need to bring with you:

  • British passport that you need a certified copy of
  • Correct fee – see the list of fees and by cash or Mastercard/Visa Debit/Credit Card
  • Proof of address

Book an appointment to make a certified copy in the British Embassy in Athens

Prepare a document in English

This service is for customers who require a signed and stamped version of one of our standard letters.

Letter - Driving licences (PDF, 140KB, 1 page)

HM Revenue and Customs (PDF, 177KB, 1 page)

UK Watersports Diplomas (PDF, 202KB, 1 page)

Change of Name in the UK - ENG (PDF, 154KB, 3 pages)

Military Service in the UK - ENG & GR (PDF, 196KB, 1 page)

Family Certificate and Civil Status ENG & GR (PDF, 195KB, 1 page)

Marriage - Recognition or Validity - ENG (PDF, 148KB, 2 pages)

What you will need to bring with you:

Book an appointment to prepare a document in English in British Embassy in Athens

You do not have to travel to the British Embassy for this service – you can request the certificate to be issued and sent to you by post and pay the fee / postal costs by credit card. To make a request please send an email to

Legalise a document

This service is for customers who require confirmation that the signature, seal or stamp of the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs on a document destined for a non-Hague Commonwealth country is genuine. It does not certify the authenticity of a document or give approval of its content. UK public documents can be legalised by the Legalisation Office.

What you will need to bring with you:

Book an appointment to legalise a document in British Embassy in Athens

Services provided elsewhere

We no longer witness life certificates for British nationals claiming a British pension abroad. Please refer to the list of people working in a recognised profession who can do this for you.

Data protection

The Foreign & Commonwealth Office holds and uses data for purposes notified to the Information Commissioner under the Data Protection Act 1998. Such personal data may be disclosed to other UK government departments and public authorities.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy / consulate by the relevant authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. Accordingly the FCO and the British embassy / consulate will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. For all notarial and legalisation services it is the responsibility of the customer to ascertain the precise requirements of the person requesting the notarial or legalisation service and to satisfy themselves that the service provided by the embassy/consulate will be accepted.

Published 22 April 2013
Last updated 3 October 2013 + show all updates
  1. Added two informative notes about changes to notarial services
  2. Updated guidance on certifying copies of UK driving licences
  3. Updated information on life certificates for UK state pensions.
  4. correct typo
  5. First published.