Notarial and documentary services guide for Ecuador

Documents, certificates and letters available at the British Consulate in Ecuador.


The British consulate can provide a range of notarial services for British nationals in Ecuador.

Where local notaries can provide services, the British consulate will not provide them. In many cases local notaries or lawyers can provide services more cheaply, quickly and conveniently.

You must make an appointment for each service that requires your personal attendance. Use the links after each service to make an appointment. You will receive an automated email confirming your appointment.

Before booking, make sure you have selected the correct service and that the document will be accepted by the relevant authority. This could be the local town hall, registry office, tax authorities, immigration office or another authority either in Ecuador, the UK or a third country.

Services we provide in Ecuador

Consular staff in Ecuador can:

  • administer an oath, affirmation or affidavit
  • witness a signature
  • make a certified copy of a British passport
  • unite documents

Marriage documents

If you want to get married or enter into a civil partnership in Ecuador, contact the relevant local authorities to find out about local marriage laws, including what documents you’ll need.

You might be asked to get certain documents from the UK government if you’re a British national. See details of the services we provide in Ecuador below.

Please check what you need to bring with you and the additional information on getting married abroad, then make an appointment for the service you require.

Affirmation/Affidavit of marriage

This service is for customers in countries which do not require a certificate of no impediment but do require a statement sworn before a consular officer.

What to bring with you:

  • a completed ‘Affirmation/Affidavit for marriage’ form
  • the correct fee – see the list of fees
  • your passport

If you’ve been divorced or widowed, you’ll need to provide:

  • a decree absolute or final order or death certificate
  • evidence of nationality or residence where your divorce took place if it was outside the UK. You’ll need to get it translated if it’s not in English. You’ll also need to provide evidence if you’ve changed your name by deed poll.

Book an appointment to administer an affirmation or affidavit for marriage at the British Embassy in Quito

See our list of consular fees for the services listed above.

If you can’t find the service you are looking for on this page, see other services provided by the British embassy in Ecuador.

What to bring to your appointment

See the individual services below for details of supporting documents to bring. Make sure you have acceptable proof of address and identity, and payment for any fees. See the full list of consular fees


We accept payment by Visa or MasterCard, or cash in the local currency on the day of the appointment.

If someone else is paying by credit card on your behalf, they will need to complete a credit card authorisation form and send us a copy of their passport.

Refunds of consular fees are not given for certificates or notarial services that are not accepted by the requesting authority.

Proof of address and identity

For all appointments for notarial services you will need to bring acceptable proof of your identity and address. We accept passports or national identity cards as proof of identity, depending on the service. We accept utility bills, bank statements or other official correspondence as proof of your address.

Administer an oath, affirmation or affidavit

This service is for people who need to swear an oath, make an affirmation or make an affidavit in front of a consular officer.

The consulate will not draft documents for you. First check with the consulate what format they need and then have the document drawn up or checked by a professional.

You may need to make an affirmation or affidavit of marital status in order to get married in Ecuador. See getting married abroad, and check the information under ‘marriage documents’ above, to find out what you need to do.

What you will need to bring with you:

  • the oath, affirmation or affidavit that you will swear or affirm
  • the correct fee – see the list of fees
  • proof of identity/address
  • if you need an affidavit for marriage in Ecuador, a completed ‘Affirmation/Affidavit for marriage’ form

Book an appointment for an affirmation/affidavit for marriage at the British Embassy in Quito

Witness a signature

This service is for customers who need to sign a document and have their signature witnessed by a consular officer. The document must be prepared before your appointment as we will not draft documents for you. We do not handle wills or probate, or witness deed polls. Please do not sign the document before your appointment.

What you will need to bring with you:

  • the document that you will sign before a witness

  • the correct fee – see the list of fees

  • proof of identity/address

Book an appointment to witness a signature at the British Embassy in Quito

Make a certified copy of a document

This service is for customers who need certified photocopies of British passports or certain other documents. Please check with the British Embassy in advance whether we are able to provide a certified copy of the document you require.

What you will need to bring with you:

  • the document that you need a certified copy of

  • the correct fee – see the list of fees

  • proof of identity/address

Book an appointment to make a certified copy at the British Embassy Quito

Unite documents

This service joins documents together using ribbon and a seal and is usually only needed for legal reasons. What you will need to bring with you:

  • the documents to be united

  • the correct fee – see the list of fees

  • proof of identity/address

Book an appointment to make a certified copy at the British Embassy Quito

Informative Notes

The British Embassy does not issue certificates of name or change of name. Under UK law, parents may give their child any forename or surname and a person may change a surname or assume any forename. For more details, please see the Change of Name informative document we have produced, which you can print if necessary. Alternatively you can submit a Freedom of Information Request to HM Passport Office, asking for confirmation that you were the holder of your previous passport(s). Please visit HM Passport Office for further information and contact details. British consulates cannot answer any queries on this subject.

The British Embassy has also produced an information note, which explains the recognition in English law of a marriage contracted outside the United Kingdom under foreign local law. You can print this Informative note: Validity of marriages.

Informative note: Registering a child with one or two surnames. For children born in Ecuador with foreign parents, through Article 38 of the new “Ecuadorean Organic Law on Identity and Civil Data Management 2016”, the British Embassy in Quito has agreed with the local Civil Registry Office that for children born to British parents in Ecuador this law will be applied upon the submission of the attached official document.

From 1 October 2013, we no longer provide notarial and documentary services to Commonwealth citizens in countries where they do not have any diplomatic representation, unless there is a clear UK connection to the document or service.

Services provided elsewhere

We no longer witness life certificates for British nationals claiming a British pension abroad. Please refer to the list of people working in a recognised profession who can do this for you.

The British Embassy no longer handles applications for renunciation and naturalisation or registration as a British citizen. All applications are now handled by the UK Border Agency.

Data protection

The Foreign & Commonwealth Office holds and uses data for purposes notified to the Information Commissioner under the Data Protection Act 1998. Such personal data may be disclosed to other UK government departments and public authorities.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy / consulate by the relevant authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. Accordingly the FCO and the British embassy / consulate will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. For all notarial and legalisation services it is the responsibility of the customer to ascertain the precise requirements of the person requesting the notarial or legalisation service and to satisfy themselves that the service provided by the embassy/consulate will be accepted.

Published 16 April 2013
Last updated 28 February 2018 + show all updates
  1. updated document February 2018
  2. updated version
  3. updated version
  4. Changes made to Notarial and Documentary Services
  5. First published.