Notarial and documentary services guide for Cambodia

Documents, certificates, letters and notes available at British Embassy in Cambodia.


The British Embassy can provide an affirmation of marital status and perform a same-sex marriage ceremony. Where local notaries can provide services, the British Embassy will not provide them. In many cases, local notaries or lawyers can provide services more cheaply, quickly and conveniently.

You must make an appointment for each service that requires your personal attendance. Use the links after each service to make an appointment.

Before booking, make sure you have selected the correct service and that the document will be accepted by the relevant authority. This could be the local town hall, registry office, tax authorities, immigration office or another authority either in Cambodia, the UK or a third country.

Services we provide in Cambodia

Consular staff in Cambodia can:

We do not issue police report clearances or criminal background checks. Please see our information on How to obtain Police Clearance Report (ODT, 25.3 KB) and CV form for police clearance.

For information about documents relating to marriage, such as a certificate of no impediment (CNI) and affirmations or affidavits of marital status, see getting married abroad getting married abroad.

If you still cannot find what you are looking for, you can contact us

What to bring to your appointment

See the individual services below for details of supporting documents to bring. Make sure you have acceptable proof of address and identity, and payment for any fees. See the full list of consular fees


We accept payment by Maestro UK, Visa and Mastercard.

Proof of address and identity

For all appointments for notarial services, you will need to bring acceptable proof of your identity and address.

We accept passports or national identity cards as proof of identity.

Administer an oath, affirmation or affidavit

This service is for people who need to make an affirmation or affidavit of marital status in order to get married in Cambodia. See getting married abroad to find out what you need to do.

What you will need to bring with you:

Book an appointment to administer an oath, affirmation or affidavit in Phnom Penh

We do not authenticate or certify documents issued by the UK, including passports, driving licences, education certificates or birth, marriage and death certificates. Please refer to the Legalisation Office who can confirm that a signature, seal or stamp on a UK public document is genuine.

Data protection

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office holds and uses data for purposes notified to the Information Commissioner under the Data Protection Act 1998. Such personal data may be disclosed to other UK government departments and public authorities.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy / consulate by the relevant authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. Accordingly, the FCDO and the British Embassy / consulate will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. For all notarial and legalisation services it is the responsibility of the customer to ascertain the precise requirements of the person requesting the notarial or legalisation service and to satisfy themselves that the service provided by the embassy/consulate will be accepted.

Published 21 October 2019
Last updated 9 March 2022 + show all updates
  1. Updated Same sex marriage and Police clearance report attachments.

  2. Removed service: make a certified copy of a document.

  3. Changes in type of notarial services offered.

  4. First published.