Notarial and documentary services in Belgium

Documents, certificates, letters and notes available at the British Embassy in Belgium.


The British embassy can provide a range of notarial and documentary services for British nationals in Belgium.

Where local notaries can provide services, the British embassy will not provide them. In many cases local notaries or lawyers can provide services more cheaply, quickly and conveniently.

You must make an appointment for each service that requires your personal attendance. Use the links after each service to make an appointment.

Before booking, make sure you have selected the correct service and that the document will be accepted by the relevant authority. This could be the local town hall, registry office, tax authorities, immigration office or another authority either in Belgium, the UK or a third country.

Services we provide in Belgium

Consular staff in Belgium can:

  • issues certificates for marital status
  • administer an oath, affirmation or affidavit (not related to a will, probate or deed polls)
  • make a certified copy of a document (British passports only)

For information on documents relating to marriage, such as affirmations of marital status, see getting married abroad.

If you can’t find the service you are looking for on this page, see other services provided by the British Embassy in Belgium.

What to bring to your appointment

See the individual services below for details of supporting documents to bring. Make sure you have acceptable proof of address and identity, and payment for any fees. See the full list of consular fees


We accept payment by credit card (Visa, MasterCard), or cash in Euros (please bring the correct amount) on the day of the appointment.

Proof of address and identity

For all appointments for notarial services you will need to bring acceptable proof of your identity and address.

We accept valid passports or national identity cards as proof of identity.

We accept a valid Belgian Residence Permit (Green-coloured card) or a letter certifying registration at the local town hall (“Gemeentehuis” or “Maison Communale”) as proof of your address.

In the absence of either of these documents, you will be expected to provide recent original copies of one of the following documents or Belgian equivalent listed below. These documents can also be used to prove an address outside of Belgium:

  • recent evidence of entitlement to state or local authority-funded benefit, tax credit, pension, educational or other grant
  • building society/savings bank passbook
  • credit reference agency search
  • utility bills (not ones printed off the Internet)
  • mortgage statement
  • council tax demand
  • bank/building society/credit card statement (but not ones printed off the Internet)
  • electoral role confirmation letter

Marital status certificate

You may need this certificate to register with the local Belgian commune (town hall) or to be able to recognise a child out of wedlock. You will need to book an appointment to make a statutory declaration about your marital status which would be accepted by Belgian authorities as proof of marital status.

What to bring with you:

Book an appointment to administer a marital status certificate (oath, affirmation or affidavit) in Brussels

Administer an oath, affirmation or affidavit

This service is for people who need to swear an oath, make an affirmation or make an affidavit which is stated MUST be carried out in front of a consular officer. Consular Services of the British Embassy in Brussels are not able to draft documents for you.

What you will need to bring with you:

Book an appointment to administer an oath, affirmation or affidavit in Brussels

Make a certified copy of a document

This service is for customers who need certified photocopies of British passports.

What you will need to bring with you:

Book an appointment to make a certified copy in Brussels, Belgium

Other services we provide

Informative note

We have produced the following informative note, in English, French and Dutch, that you can download free of charge to present to the local authorities:

Informative note on change of name

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Services provided elsewhere

Data protection

The Foreign & Commonwealth Office holds and uses data for purposes notified to the Information Commissioner under the Data Protection Act 1998. Such personal data may be disclosed to other UK government departments and public authorities.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy / consulate by the relevant authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. Accordingly the FCO and the British embassy / consulate will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. For all notarial and legalisation services it is the responsibility of the customer to ascertain the precise requirements of the person requesting the notarial or legalisation service and to satisfy themselves that the service provided by the embassy/consulate will be accepted.

Published 9 April 2013
Last updated 13 November 2014 + show all updates
  1. changed appointment method - online appointment booking system no longer working
  2. Removed birth and death registrations. Registration process will transfer to UK from 09 June 2014.
  3. Updated instructions for life certificates for UK state pensions
  4. First published.