Armenia: notarial and documentary services guide

Documents, certificates, letters and notes available at British consulates in Armenia.


The British consulate can provide a range of notarial and documentary services for British nationals in Armenia. Where local notaries can provide services, the British consulate will not provide them. In many cases local notaries or lawyers can provide services more cheaply, quickly and conveniently.

You must make an appointment for each service that requires your personal attendance. A member of staff will contact you to confirm your appointment.

Before booking, make sure you have selected the correct service and that the document will be accepted by the relevant authority. This could be the local town hall, registry office, tax authorities, immigration office or another authority either in Armenia, the UK or a third country.

The services we provide

Consular staff in Armenia can:

  • witness a signature (this is a limited service, check with the embassy)
  • make a certified copy of a document

For information about documents relating to marriage, such as a certificate of no impediment (CNI) and affirmations or affidavits of marital status, see getting married abroad.
If you can’t find the service you are looking for on this page, see other services provided by the British embassy in Armenia

What to bring to your appointment

See the individual services below for details of supporting documents to bring. Make sure you have acceptable proof of address and identity, and payment for any fees. See the full list of consular fees


We accept payment by credit card and cash in the local currency on the day of the appointment.

Proof of address and identity

For all appointments for notarial services you will need to bring acceptable proof of your identity and address. We accept passports as proof of identity.

We accept an original, valid Armenian Residence card or Permanent Residence certificate if you live in Armenia. We also accept recent original utility bills or bank credit card statement as proof of your address.

Witness a signature

This service is for customers who need to sign a document and have their signature witnessed by a consular officer. The document must be prepared before your appointment as we will not draft documents for you. We do not handle wills or probate, or witness deed polls.

Please do not sign the document before your appointment.

Book an appointment to witness a signature in British Embassy Yerevan

Make a certified copy of a document

This service is for British nationals who need certified photocopies of the following documents:

  • British passports
  • British driving licences
  • UK educational documents (only those that have been issued in the UK by a recognised institution)

Please note that if you would like a certified copy so that it can be legalised in the UK you will need to get a copy certified by a UK notary public or solicitor.

What you will need to bring with you:

  • the document that you need a certified copy of
  • the correct fee
  • proof of identity/address

We will not provide certified photocopies of:

  • British marriage, birth and death certificates. You should apply to the General Register Office for copies of these documents
  • non-UK documents including ID documents, passports and driving licenses

Book and appointment to make a certified copy of a document

Other services we provide

Services provided elsewhere

We no longer witness life certificates for British nationals claiming a British pension abroad. Please refer to the list of people working in a recognised profession who can do this for you.

  • legalising UK documents/certificates: Legalisation Office
  • state Pension if you retire abroad How to claim
  • copies of British birth, death & marriage certificates: GRO
  • information on marriage in the UK: GOV.UK
  • yachting and sailing certificates: RYA
  • certify your fingerprints: Metropolitan Police UK
  • pension certificates: DWP
  • taxation and UK National Insurance contributions certificates: HMRC
  • renew British driving licences or provide certificates regarding British driving licences: DVLA
  • UK Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks (previously Criminal Records Bureau checks/Good conduct *certificates (except for Hong Kong): CRB
  • certificates confirming British nationality: UK Border Agency
  • certificates proving you are not British: UK Border Agency

Data protection

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office holds and uses data for purposes notified to the Information Commissioner under the Data Protection Act 1998. Such personal data may be disclosed to other UK government departments and public authorities.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy / consulate by the relevant authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. Accordingly the FCDO and the British embassy / consulate will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. For all notarial and legalisation services it is the responsibility of the customer to ascertain the precise requirements of the person requesting the notarial or legalisation service and to satisfy themselves that the service provided by the embassy/consulate will be accepted.

Published 20 November 2013
Last updated 6 October 2021 + show all updates
  1. October 2021 update

  2. 24 March update

  3. August 2019 update

  4. added some information

  5. First published.