The Transform Nutrition (TN) research consortium, in support of the Scaling Up Nutrition (SUN) movement, have announced the first Nutrition Champions Awards. With the aim of sharing local experiences on scaling up nutrition and recognising leadership, the Award searches for the unsung heroes working in this field.
Nominations are invited for those who have made a real difference in this area. The criteria for nomination can include individuals who have been involved in:
- Influencing the government, local authorities or an organisation to take nutrition on board as a development priority
- Improving the quality and/or scale of nutrition programmes or interventions,
- Effectively promoting nutritional considerations within other sectors e.g. agriculture, social protection, water and sanitation
- Influencing the formulation or implementation of policies or strategies so as to benefit nutrition
- Building consent and/or coalitions within the national or local nutrition community around a clear and consistent agenda for change
- Mobilizing communities and/or supporting women to play an active role in influencing and participating in the policies, programs and actions required to scale up nutrition
Nominations should recognise any individual who has had success in transforming thinking or action in the field of nutrition.
Individuals and organisations from 48 high burden countries are eligible for nomination, at national or local (e.g. provincial or district) levels. A full list of these countries is available here. Priority will be given to applicants who are nationals from these countries.
A shortlist of 15 nominees will be announced at the end of July. Those in the shortlist will have their stories publicised on both the Transform Nutrition and Scaling Up Nutrition websites.
3 award winners will be selected by a panel of leading experts in nutrition and will be invited and financed to participate in the Third Annual Meeting on Scaling Up Nutrition in New York this September, where they will be given an opportunity to communicate their ideas and experiences to the audience.
Individuals cannot nominate themselves in a personal capacity and partners and affiliates of Transform Nutrition will not be eligible. Applicants should be aware that their stories will be shared and disseminated with the public and that winners will be invited to take part in publicity generated by the initiative.
To nominate a champion complete the Nomination Submission Form. Nominations must be submitted by June the 30th.
More information on the awards can be found via Transform Nutrition.
For all the latest news from the awards follow the hashtag #nutritionchampions on Twitter.
Transform Nutrition is led by the International Food Policy Research Institute and is funded by the Department for International Development.