Biodiversity and ecosystems
Endangered species: apply for a commercial use certificate
Apply for a certificate to use a CITES-listed specimen for commercial purposes.
Application to use herbicides in or near water
Use this form if you plan to use herbicides to control weeds in water or on the banks next to a waterbody or watercourse.
Invasive non-native (alien) species: licence to manage and control them (IAS A02)
Apply for a licence to manage and control certain non-native (alien) species.
Endangered species: apply for a waiver from paying permit fees
Use this guidance and form to apply for an exemption from CITES fees because of conservation work.
Landscape Recovery scheme: complaints and reconsiderations
Make a complaint, provide feedback or request a reconsideration of a Landscape Recovery scheme decision.
Guidance and regulation
- Complying with the biodiversity duty
- Import or export endangered species: check if you need a CITES permit
- Biodiversity metric: calculate the biodiversity net gain of a project or development
- Wild birds: protection and licences
- Reporting your biodiversity duty actions
News and communications
- £40 million biodiversity research programme opens for applications
- Pair of unlicensed South East anglers netted for illegal fishing
- Wildflowers seeds for every primary school class in honour of the Coronation
- Ecology benefits from restoration project in Norwich
- Snow leopards, elephants and pangolins to be better protected with funding boost for world’s most endangered animals
Research and statistics
- UK Biodiversity indicators
- England biodiversity indicators
- State of the water environment indicator B3: supporting evidence
- UK farm animal genetic resources (FAnGR): breed inventory results
- Wild bird populations in the UK
Policy papers and consultations
- Local Nature Recovery Strategies: how to prepare and what to include
- Consultation on Biodiversity Net Gain regulations and implementation
- Global Centre on Biodiversity for Climate
- Political Vision: The 10 Point Plan for financing biodiversity
- The Great Britain invasive non-native species strategy
Transparency and freedom of information releases
- Results-Based Agri-environment Payment Scheme (RBAPS) pilot study in England
- Environment (Wales) Act 2016 Part 1 Section 6: The Biodiversity and Resilience of Ecosystems
- Cumbria BogLIFE project
- Fish Health Inspectorate: Reports 2018
- Marches Mosses BogLIFE project