- Companies House
- Part of:
- Companies House: guidance for limited companies, partnerships and other company types and Closing a company
- 31 October 2014
- Last updated:
- 23 November 2016, see all updates
Information for directors, secretaries or company advisers about how to dissolve a company or restore a company to the register.
This guide will be relevant to you if you’re a company officer or company adviser and you want to dissolve or restore a company. It includes information on:
- why a company may apply to be struck off
- when a company cannot apply to be struck off
- how to apply and who to tell
- how strike off and restoration notices are published in the Gazette
- withdrawing a strike off application
- objecting to a company’s dissolution
- offences and penalties
- what happens to companies no longer in operation
- how to restore a company to the register by a court order or administrative restoration
Published: 31 October 2014
Updated: 23 November 2016
- Section 10.3 contact address details updated.
- Welsh HTML added
- Guidance converted to HTML
- Third Parties (Rights against Insurers) Regulations 2016 came into force. This guidance has been amended in Chapter 3 to include these new regulations.
- Guidance updated as a result of The Small Business, Enterprise and Employment Act.
- Section 10.1 corrected: 3 months to 2
- OLTR address updated and striking off periods updated to 2 months due to SBEE act implementation.
- Welsh translation added
- English HTML guidance added
- Guidance updated to version 3.8.
- Version 3.6 replaced with version 3.7
- Guidance updated from version 3.5 to version 3.6
- Welsh translation added.
- First published.