Registering a charge (mortgage) for a company

How to register a new charge at Companies House, or tell us about any you've paid off.

This guidance also applies to limited liability partnerships (LLPs).

Register a charge (MR01)

A ‘charge’ is the security a company gives for a loan. For example, a mortgage is a type of charge.

You can send us the details of a charge created by the company. We’ll then register the charge on the company’s public record.

21-day time limit

If a charge is not registered within 21 days, it may be difficult to recover the debt if the company becomes insolvent. The 21 days start the day after the charge is created.

If you do not send us this information in time, you’ll need a court order to register the charge.

Only the court can allow an extension of time.

Certified copy of the charge instrument

If there’s an ‘instrument’ such as a mortgage deed, you must include a certified copy of the instrument when you register the charge. This will be shown on the company’s public record.

The information on your MR01 must match the instrument charge details.

Removing personal information from the charge instrument

Any information you send us will appear on the company’s public record. This includes all information on the certified copy of the instrument.

Before you send us your certified copy, you can remove or ‘redact’ some personal information from it. You can remove:

  • personal information relating to an individual (but not their name)
  • the number or identifier of a bank or securities account
  • a signature

It’s up to you how you choose to remove this information.

Who can register a charge

Any person ‘interested in the charge’ can register a charge at Companies House. This could be the company itself, the lender or their agent.

This is the quickest and most efficient way to register your charge, and has inbuilt checks to help you file correctly. If you don’t already have an online account with us, you’ll need to sign up for online filing.

You can also send us charge information using third-party software.

If you’re the company

You can register charges against your company using your company authentication code.

If you’re an agent or lender

You can apply for a lender authentication code (LAC).

Companies House will create a LAC, a presenter ID and a presenter authentication code. You can register charges against a company using these details.

 Video: How to register a charge online

How to register a charge online

You can watch our video guidance on how to register a charge online with captions on YouTube (4m 54s).

What you can file online

You can use online filing to:

  • register a new charge created by an instrument (MR01)
  • register a charge over property acquired (MR02)
  • satisfy a charge that’s been paid in full or in part (MR04)
  • tell us about property released from the charge, or no longer belonging to the company (MR05)

Other charges you can file

You can use our paper forms to register other types of charge, or alter a charge you’ve previously registered.

See our full list of company charge forms for information on what you can send us by post. There’s a fee of £23 to register a charge on paper.

There are separate paper forms for LLPs.

Satisfy a charge (MR04)

A charge is ‘satisfied’ when it’s paid off. You do not have to tell us, but any satisfied charges left outstanding on our records could have a negative effect on your company.

It’s a good idea to make sure any charges registered against your company are correct and up to date. You can check your company’s record for any outstanding charges using our free service.

You can tell us when a charge has been paid in full, or part-paid. We’ll then update your company’s charge information on the public record.

You can also tell us when property has been released from a charge, or if it no longer belongs to the company.

Use our online filing service to satisfy a charge, or cease or release property from a charge (MR05).

This is the quickest and most efficient way to send us information, and has inbuilt checks to help you file correctly. You can also use third-party software, or send us a paper form by post.

Video: How to satisfy a charge online

How to satisfy a charge online

You can watch our video guidance on how to satisfy a charge online with captions on YouTube (2m 20s).

Informal correction of paper forms

You can sign up for informal correction if you want us to correct certain mistakes on your paper form before we register or reject your charge information. This could help you avoid missing your deadline.

Once you’ve signed up, we’ll contact you if we need:

  • more information
  • permission to make a correction

Older charges

To register a charge created before 6 April 2013, you must use one of the older charge forms available on the National Archives’ website.

Published 15 January 2019
Last updated 15 February 2019 + show all updates
  1. Added Welsh translation.
  2. First published.