Notarial and Documentary Services Guide for Thailand

Documents, certificates, letters and notes available at the British Embassy in Thailand.


The British Embassy Bangkok can provide a limited range of notarial and documentary services for British nationals in Thailand.

Services are provided in person and by postal application. You must make an appointment for each individual applicant that requires personal attendance. If you require more than one service please book one appointment only. Please use the relevant links to make an appointment.

Before booking, you must make sure you have selected the correct service and that the document will be accepted by the relevant receiving authority. This could be the local district office (Amphur), immigration office, ministries or another authority either in Thailand, the UK or a third country.

If you plan to marry in Thailand, it is your responsibility to check the documents required from the district office (amphur/amphoe) where you will marry before booking an appointment. Each district office has different requirements and embassy staff are unable to advise you which documents each individual district office requires.

The Thai authorities require that UK public documents are legalised before they can be used for official purposes in Thailand. From 1 June 2018, documents originating from the UK to be used for official purposes in Thailand will need to go through the legalisation process in the UK. Once these documents have been legalised by the UK Legalisation Office, they must be legalised by the Royal Thai Embassy in London, then legalised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Thailand before they can be used in Thailand. In particular this change will affect educational and other documents required for work permit and visa applications. Examples of such documents include degree certificates, professional qualifications, job references, police checks, birth certificates, death certificates and marriage certificates. Please note that some documents may need to be certified by a solicitor or notary public in the UK before they can be submitted to the UK Legalisation Office. If you need a notary contact the Faculty Office.

For information on how to get your document legalised for use in Thailand please see Legalisation of signatures and official stamps (PDF, 142KB, 1 page) . There is no requirement for the British Embassy Bangkok to stamp these documents once they have been legalised by the Royal Thai Embassy in London and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Thailand.

You can either get your documents legalised yourself or alternatively employ a commercial company to do this on your behalf.

Services we provide in Thailand

Consular staff can provide the following services only:

  • affirmation of marital status
  • affirmation of residency
  • certified copy of British passport and British driving licence
  • letter confirming pension/income for retirement visa in Thailand (postal application only)
  • letter of “no objection” for adoption in Thailand
  • ED visa letter for internships in Thailand
  • visa transfer letter

The Consular Section reserves the right to cancel any appointment if it is deemed as a service that we cannot offer.

What to bring to your appointment

Please see the individual services below for details of supporting documents to bring.


We accept payment by Visa, MasterCard, or cash in the local currency (Thai Baht) on the day of appointment. Card payments are preferred.

Proof of address and identity

For all appointments for notarial services you will need to bring your passport for official proof of identity.

If proof of address is required, we accept a driver’s licence, utility bills and postal mail showing your full name and local address or house registration.

Affirmation of marital status

If you are a British national intending to marry in Thailand, you will need to make an affirmation of marital status.

Information on the affirmation of marriage template, and other documents required for marriage in Thailand, can be found on the information about getting married abroad.

Please note that this service is available for British nationals intending to marry in Thailand only. We cannot administer an affirmation to confirm your marital status if you are already married, divorced or widowed. You should present your marriage certificate, divorce decree absolute or your late spouse’s death certificate.

Same Sex Marriages/Civil Partnerships

These are not recognised in Thailand. Therefore we cannot process documentation for a same sex marriage, even if the marriage is proposed to take place in a third country.

Affirmation of residency

This service is provided for British nationals who are required to make an affirmation of residency in Thailand. The affirmation template will be available at your appointment for you to complete.

What you will need to bring with you

  • proof of identity – British passport
  • proof of address - we accept a driver’s licence, utility bill, house registration book, rental contract showing your full name and address
  • the correct fee – see the list of fees. We prefer payment by card

Book an appointment for an oath, affirmation or affidavit in Bangkok

Certified copies

This service is for customers who need certified photocopies of:

  • British passports: by appointment only
  • British driving licenses: by postal application or appointment

The fee is charged for each certified copy.

Certified copies of British Passports

What you need to bring with you:

Book an appointment for certified copies in Bangkok

Certified copies of a minor child’s passport

If you require a certified copy of your minor child’s passport, you must provide written authority from both parents together with both original passports. Your minor child does not have to be present, provided both parents are present and provide evidence that they are related to the minor child as claimed. Where only one parent can be present, the absent parent must provide a letter of authorisation plus their original passport.

What you will need to bring with you:

  • original document to be copied (photocopies and laminated documents are not accepted)
  • proof of identity– British passport or national ID card
  • the correct fee – see the list of fees. We prefer payment by card

Book an appointment for certified copies in Bangkok

We are unable to certify photocopies of British marriage, divorce, criminal record, name change, birth and death certificates, as these should be applied for through the General Register Office.

Consular Letter showing income for Thai Immigration (postal or email applications only)

The Consular Section can issue a standard letter addressed to Thai Immigration in support of a retirement visa. This letter may be requested by Immigration if you do not have the minimum funds required in your Thai bank account. The decision to grant you a visa lies with the Thai authorities and not with the British Embassy Bangkok.

Download and fill in the application form (PDF, 424KB, 3 pages) here

Letters are normally provided within 10 working days of receipt at the Consular Section. Please ensure you make your application in time for your visa renewal/extension, as the Embassy cannot assist with any overstay issues.

Letter of no objection for adoption in Thailand (Postal application only)

The British embassy in Bangkok is unable to advise on the legalities or the procedures for domestic adoption. Further information can be found on the adoption pages and Child Adoption Centre Thailand.

The embassy will only become involved when the government of the country that the child is being adopted from requests a letter of no objection from the British authorities.

The embassy in Bangkok can only issue such a letter if at least one of the parents is not habitually resident in the UK. It is the responsibility of the prospective adoptive parents to check with a lawyer that they have not retained habitual residence in the UK and to prove this to the embassy. The embassy will need to see a sworn declaration, witnessed by a lawyer, confirming that the prospective adopted parents have received independent legal advice and that they are not habitually resident in the UK.

The sworn statement must contain the following wording: “I (name) confirm that I have received independent legal advice and with reference to all the circumstances of my particular case and in light of existing UK law I can confirm that I am not habitually resident in the UK.”

If the sworn statement is obtained from an overseas lawyer, the lawyer must also confirm that they have an understanding of UK case law on habitual residence. Documents required:

  • Photocopy of British passport
  • Sworn statement
  • Copy of Lawyer’s license or lawyer’s ID
  • the correct fee – see the list of fees. We prefer payment by card
  • Application form (PDF, 229KB, 2 pages)

We cannot give guarantees that children adopted abroad will be eligible for British citizenship or be granted entry clearance. These are both granted at the discretion of the Home Secretary and decisions cannot be prejudged. We can only give a factual statement outlining the normal approach and procedures.

ED visa support letter

This letter is for British Nationals on an internship in Thailand who need to extend their non-immigrant ED visa. The letter is available by post only.

Documents required:

  • Photocopy of your British Passport
  • Support letter from employer confirming your full name, passport number, position in the company and length of employment
  • the correct fee – see list of fees. We prefer payment by card
  • Application form (PDF, 229KB, 2 pages)

Transferring your Thai Visa for replacement passports

If you had a Thai visa in your previous passport, this will need to be transferred into your new passport. The Thai immigration Department require a completed pro –forma letter from the British Embassy to facilitate this process. The British Embassy do not charge for this letter.

You will be provided with a blank pro-forma letter when you collect your new passport at the VFS office.

You will be required to show both passports at the Thai Immigration Department.

This letter can be collected by anyone at the embassy reception between 8:00 -18:00, Monday to Friday. Please email us with your Thai address if you would like to receive the visa transfer letter by post:

Services provided elsewhere

Legalising a signature or seal

Legalisation is the official confirmation that a signature, seal or stamp on an official public document is genuine. UK public documents such as birth, death, marriage and divorce certificates can be legalised by the UK government in the UK. This is also known as an apostille.

More information on how to get your UK document legalised for use in Thailand can be found on Three Steps of Legalising a Signatures or Seal (PDF, 157KB, 1 page) and Legalisation Infographic (PDF, 448KB, 1 page) .

Life Certificates

We no longer provide life certificates for British nationals claiming a British pension abroad. Please refer to the list of people working in a recognised profession (PDF, 17.8KB, 2 pages) who can do this for you.

Recognition or validity of marriage

We do not provide the recognition of marriage and only Courts in England and Wales can recognise a marriage under English and Welsh Law, for more information please see Information Note on Recognition or Validity of Marriage (PDF, 302KB, 1 page) .

Services we cannot provide

  • Certified copies of UK degree/educational certificates. In May 2018 the Thai authorities confirmed that they require all foreign degree certificates to be verified (legalised) for use in Thailand. Before arriving in Thailand you are advised to get your UK educational certificates legalised before you travel. If you are already in Thailand you will need to follow the 3 step legalisation process under “Services provided elsewhere” above.
  • any form of affirmation, affidavit or statutory declaration to confirm identity, family relationships or marital status (unless it is to marry in Thailand, please see above for Affirmation of Marital Status)
  • witness a signature on a Power of Attorney
  • statutory declaration for common law relationships - common law marriage is not recognised under UK or Thai law
  • statutory declaration to confirm your identity if the name on your passport does not match the name on your UK degree certificate. Contact your university to request supporting documentation.
  • we cannot provide services to non-British Nationals

You may also wish to consult a local lawyer or translator/interpreter

If you have been requested to obtain a document from the British Embassy Bangkok which is not listed above, please email us for advice at:

The British Embassy Bangkok is not responsible for any costs incurred through booking an appointment for a service that we cannot provide. If in doubt, please contact us for advice.

Data Protection

The Foreign & Commonwealth Office holds and uses data for purposes notified to the Information Commissioner under the Data Protection Act 1998. Such personal data may be disclosed to other UK government departments and public authorities.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the British Embassy Bangkok by the relevant authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. Accordingly the Foreign & Commonwealth Office and the British Embassy Bangkok will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. For all notarial and legalisation services, it is the responsibility of the customer to ascertain the precise requirements of the person requesting the notarial or legalisation service and to satisfy themselves that the service provided by the British Embassy Bangkok will be accepted.

Published 26 January 2014
Last updated 31 May 2018 + show all updates
  1. Updated content on Overview Section
  2. Content revised
  3. Updated February 2018
  4. Updated content on 24 June 2016
  5. Updated consular fees as of 6 June 2016
  6. Updated consular fees as of 6 April 2016
  7. Updated consular fees as of 7 March 2016
  8. Changes to Administer an oath, affirmation or affidavit section and Make a certified copy of a document section
  9. Updated to Services provided elsewhere section
  10. Changes to Legalising a signature or seal section
  11. First published.
  12. Fee changes
  13. Changes of Consular fees
  14. Fee changes
  15. Consular Fees - Effective 10 September 2013
  16. Fee changes