Singapore: notarial and documentary services guide

Documents, certificates, letters and notes available at the British High Commission in Singapore.


For legal reasons, we’re unable to carry out notarial acts in Commonwealth countries. This includes certifying documents as true copies of originals, administering oaths or taking affidavits. For these or other notarial acts, you should contact a local notary. A list is available on the Singapore Academy of Law website.

A standard letter is available to confirm we do not offer these services in Singapore.

Legalising documents issued in the UK for use in Singapore

Legislation is the official confirmation that a signature, seal or stamp on an official public document is genuine. Legalisation does not certify the authenticity of a document or give approval of its content.

Check with the end users (e.g. local government department, school, or company asking to see your documents) to find out if they require UK documents to be legalised.

If legislation is required, you may send your documents by courier to the Legalisation Office in the UK.

The British High Commission in Singapore is unable to legalise documents issued in the UK, including British passports, marriage certificates, birth certificates, educational certificates, divorce certificates, power of attorney, contracts, etc.

Documents originating in Singapore for use in the UK

Documents issued in Singapore do not have to be legalised before they can be accepted in the UK.


For information about documents relating to marriage, such as affirmations or affidavits of marital status, see getting married abroad.

Other services we provide

We have produced these information notes that you can download free of charge to present to the local authorities:

Data protection

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office holds and uses data for purposes notified to the Information Commissioner under the Data Protection Act 1998. Such personal data may be disclosed to other UK government departments and public authorities.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy / consulate by the relevant authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. Accordingly the FCDO and the British embassy / consulate will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. For all notarial and legalisation services it is the responsibility of the customer to ascertain the precise requirements of the person requesting the notarial or legalisation service and to satisfy themselves that the service provided by the embassy/consulate will be accepted.

Published 10 May 2013
Last updated 2 December 2020 + show all updates
  1. New information notes added for Common Law Spouses; Nationality Holder of a British Passport and Repatriation of Mortal Remains

  2. First published.