Notarial and documentary services guide for Seychelles

Documents, certificates, letters and notes available at the British High Commission Victoria


British consular officers in Commonwealth countries have no powers under the Commissioners for Oaths Act 1889 to undertake notarial acts, administer oaths or take affidavits which will be effectual in the United Kingdom. As Seychelles is a Commonwealth country, the vice consul at the British High Commission Victoria cannot perform notarial acts or legalise documents.

Examples of notarial acts include witnessing signatures, making certified copies of documents (eg UK passports, educational certificates, UK driving licences) and confirming overseas residency status. Persons requiring notarial work should contact a local lawyer. We have prepared a list of English-speaking lawyers in Seychelles for the convenience of British Nationals who require legal advice.

In the case of legalising documents, the Legalisation Office in the UK can also be contacted. Legalisation is the official confirmation that a signature, seal or stamp on a UK public document is genuine. Legalisation is often required by foreign authorities before they will allow a UK document to be used for official purposes in their country; legalisation does not certify the authenticity of a document or give Foreign & Commonwealth Office approval of its content. If you send a document to the Legalisation Office, please ensure that registered post is used to and from the UK.

The services we provide

It is possible to register the birth or death of a British national abroad.

Please see the ‘Our services’ section of the British High Commission Victoria for details of all other services we provide.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy by the relevant local authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. Accordingly the FCO and the British embassy will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. British nationals wishing to obtain any further information must contact the relevant local authority

Published 11 March 2014