Notarial and documentary services guide for Namibia

Documents, certificates, letters and notes available at the British High Commission in Windhoek, Namibia.


Under the Commissioners for Oaths Act 1889, Consular Officers in Commonwealth countries have no general powers to perform Notarial acts, this includes certifying copies of documents. As Namibia is a member of the Commonwealth, the British High Commission Windhoek is not in a position to provide Notarial services. A standard letter is available to confirm this.

Customers should approach a local notary/Commissioner of Oaths to provide services. In many cases local notaries and lawyers can provide services more quickly and conveniently. The following approved list of practising lawyers can be contacted.

If you require a certified copy of your UK birth, marriage or death certificates, these can be obtained from the relevant General Register Office in the UK.

We are unable to authenticate, verify or legalise any document. See how to get a document legalised for more information.

Services we provide in Namibia

A letter confirming that we cannot provide notarial services or certificates.

You can collect a stamped signed copy of the consular letter confirming that we cannot provide notarial services or certificates of no impediment, by appointment. If you are unable to come in person, a third person can come and collect the letter on your behalf. This is a free service and no consular fees are charged. It is not necessary to bring any form of documentation to collect the letter.

Book an appointment to collect this letter at the British High Commission Windhoek.

Letter confirming that we do not issue a certificate of no impediment

You can collect a stamped signed copy of the consular letter confirming that we cannot provide a certificate of no impediment. This is a free service unless the document is personalised. It is not necessary to bring any form of documentation to collect the letter. See our additional information about getting married abroad.

Services provided elsewhere

Verifying a UK degree certificate

If you need your UK degree certificate verified you should contact the issuing organisation. Alternatively you may refer to the official Higher Education Degree Data check – HEDD. HEDD is for employers, agencies, universities, embassies and councils who wish to verify whether a candidate is a current or past student of a university or college, the award and grade they received, and their dates of attendance. UK degree certificates can also be legalised by the Legalisation Office.

Confirmation of the validity of British driving licences

The British High Commission does not issue letters confirming the authenticity of United Kingdom driving licences. Should you require confirmation of your driving licence details, contact the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency.

Data protection

The Foreign & Commonwealth Office holds and uses data for purposes notified to the Information Commissioner under the Data Protection Act 1998. Such personal data may be disclosed to other UK government departments and public authorities.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy/consulate by the relevant local authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. Accordingly the FCO and the British embassy/consulate general will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. For all notarial services, it is the responsibility of the customer to ascertain the precise requirements of the person requesting the notarial service and to satisfy themselves that the service provided by the embassy/consulate will be accepted.

Published 17 April 2013
Last updated 24 July 2020 + show all updates
  1. "Update to notarial and other services provided at the Mission"

  2. First published.