Notarial and documentary services guide for Malaysia

Documents, certificates, and letters available at the British High Commission in Malaysia.

Notarial and documentary services


The British High Commission in Kuala Lumpur can perform a very limited range of document services for British nationals and the public in Malaysia.

Please be informed that diplomatic staff in Commonwealth countries, whether designated as Consul or otherwise have no general powers under the Commissioners for Oaths Act 1889 to do certification for any documents, administer oaths and take affidavits, which are effectual in the United Kingdom.

You should contact a local notary or commissioner for oaths. A standard letter is available for download to confirm we do not offer these services in Malaysia from the British High Commission, there is no charge for this letter.

You must make an appointment for each service that requires your personal attendance. Some services may be available by post. Please use the links after each service to make an appointment.

Before booking, make sure you have selected the correct service and that the document will be accepted by the relevant authority. This could be the immigration office, registry office, FCDO or another authority either in Malaysia, the UK or a third country.

Services we provide in Malaysia

Staff at the consular section of the British High Commission in Kuala Lumpur can:

What to bring to your appointment

See the individual services below for details of supporting documents to bring. Make sure you have acceptable proof of address and identity, and payment for any fees see the full list of consular fees


Payment is accepted by Visa or Mastercard. An additional fee of RM10.00 is applicable for postal applications. Consular fees are non-refundable.

Proof of address and identity

You will need to bring acceptable proof of your identity and address. We accept utility bills or a lease agreement as proof for your address. Passports or national identity cards are acceptable for proof of identity.

Issue a letter for Dependant Pass

We can issue “Common Law letters” in support of unmarried partners or family members’ (of a British citizen, employed in Malaysia) application to live in Malaysia as a dependant. The partners or the family members can then make an application to Malaysian Immigration Department for Dependant Passes to be affixed in their respective passports. Decisions on granting such passes rests with the Malaysian Authorities.

What you will need to bring with you:

  • proof of identity of partner or family member/s (the passport of his/her partner or family member).

  • proof of identity of British citizen in Malaysia (the passport of the British citizen employed in Malaysia).

  • proof of employment status of British citizen (Immigration Department’s employment pass or an original contract of employment issued by the employer).

  • Payment by Visa / Master debit or credit card. See the list of fees. Fees may be subject to change and are not refundable.

Book an appointment to request a letter for a Dependant Pass at at the British High Commission Kuala Lumpur

Certification/verification/attesting documents

Documents originating from Malaysia, including statutory declarations, certificates of origin, power of attorney, school certificates, birth certificates or contracts, may have to be legalised by the consular division at the Malaysian Ministry of Foreign Affairs before they can be accepted overseas.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs may require education certificates, including those issued by overseas education institutions, to be certified by the Malaysian Ministry of Higher Education. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs may also require other documents to be certified by a notary public or commissioners for oaths.

Prepare a document in English

This service is offered in very limited circumstances to issue a statement of fact to help British nationals with various local authorities where there is no other option available. This does not include a letter confirming residency status in Malaysia, a letter authenticating British passports, or a letter for transporting your personal possessions to another country.

The wording must be cleared with the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office in London, which means these documents will take longer to prepare. We can only provide this service if we have proof that the wording or content you require is correct and unambiguous. This service is provided at the discretion of the consular staff and we can refuse to provide it. Please contact the Consular Section before making an appointment.

What you will need to bring with you:

  • proof of identity of British citizen - (passport)

  • proof of address - (lease agreement or utility bills)

  • payment by Visa / Master debit or credit card. See the list of fees. Fees may be subject to change.

Book an appointment to prepare a document in English at the British High Commission Kuala Lumpur

Services provided elsewhere

We no longer provide life certificates for British nationals claiming a British pension abroad. Please refer to the list of people working in a recognised profession who can do this for you.

We do not certify or authenticate documents issued by the UK, including birth, marriage and death certificates. Please refer to the Legalisation Office who can confirm that a signature, seal or stamp on a UK public document is genuine. The Legalisation Office accepts application by courier from Malaysia.

We do not certify or authenticate UK driving licences, to support conversions of driving licences in Malaysia. Please refer to Living in Malaysia for more information.

Data protection

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office holds and uses data for purposes notified to the Information Commissioner under the Data Protection Act 1998. Such personal data may be disclosed to other UK government departments and public authorities.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the High commission / consulate by the relevant authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. Accordingly the FCDO and the British High Commission / consulate will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. For all notarial and legalisation services it is the responsibility of the customer to ascertain the precise requirements of the person requesting the notarial or legalisation service and to satisfy themselves that the service provided by the High Commission /consulate will be accepted.

Published 12 April 2013
Last updated 15 May 2020 + show all updates
  1. Notarial and documentary services have resumed at the High Commission.

  2. Updated operational guidance during this Covid-19 pandemic.

  3. We have updated information on Consular procedure and payment methods.

  4. Spelling corrections

  5. Link to online appointment booking system added.

  6. We no longer provide the service of witnessing the signing of pension forms.

  7. First published.