Notarial and documentary services in Luxembourg

How someone in Luxembourg can get documents legalised, witnessed or certified, take an oath of British citizenship and obtain informative notes.


The British embassy can provide a range of notarial and documentary services for British nationals in Luxembourg.

Where local notaries can provide services, the British consulate will not provide them. In many cases local notaries or lawyers can provide services more cheaply, quickly and conveniently.

You must make an appointment for each service that requires your personal attendance. Use the links after each service to make an appointment.

Before booking, make sure you have selected the correct service and that the document will be accepted by the relevant authority. This could be the local town hall, registry office, tax authorities, immigration office or another authority either in Luxembourg, the UK or a third country.

Services we provide in Luxembourg

Consular staff in Luxembourg can:

  • administer an oath, affirmation or affidavit (not related to a will, probate or deed polls)
  • make a certified copy of a document (British passports only)
  • for marriage or civil partnerships see the marriage documents below

If you can’t find the service you are looking for on this page, see other services provided by the British Embassy in Luxembourg.

What to bring to your appointment

See the individual services below for details of supporting documents to bring. Make sure you have acceptable proof of address and identity, and payment for any fees. See the full list of consular fees.


We accept payment by credit card (Visa, MasterCard) - preferred method.

Cash in Euros only is accepted also but please bring the EXACT AMOUNT to cover the fee on the day of the appointment.

Proof of address and identity

For all appointments for notarial services you will need to bring acceptable proof of your identity and address.

We accept valid passports or national identity cards as proof of identity.

We accept a ‘Certificat de Résidence’ (you can get one from your local commune) as proof of residence. Proof of residence is always required for the issue of all consular certificates, informative notes, letters and notarial acts including certified photocopies.

In the absence of this document, you will be expected to provide recent original copies of one of the following documents or Luxembourg equivalent listed below:

  • recent evidence of entitlement to state or local authority-funded benefit, tax credit, pension, educational or other grant
  • building society/savings bank passbook
  • credit reference agency search
  • utility bills (not those printed off the Internet)
  • mortgage statement
  • council tax demand
  • bank/building society/credit card statement (but not those printed off the internet)
  • electoral role confirmation letter

For marriage purposes and if you do not normally live in Luxembourg, but reside permanently in a different country outside the UK we will accept a boarding pass, a copy of your flight confirmation, or a hotel bill showing you have been in Luxembourg physically for 3 clear days before the appointment.

Administer an oath, affirmation or affidavit

This service is for people who need to swear an oath, make an affirmation or make an affidavit in front of a consular officer. You may need to make an affirmation or affidavit of marital status in order to get married in Luxembourg. See marriage documents to find out what you need to do.

The embassy will not draft documents for you.

What you will need to bring with you:

Book an appointment to administer an oath, affirmation or affidavit in Luxembourg

The British Embassy in Luxembourg is only open to the public on Mondays, and by appointment only using the link above. If you require more urgent assistance please call.

Make a certified copy of a document

This service is for customers who need certified photocopies of British passports.

What you will need to bring with you:

Book an appointment to make a certified copy in Luxembourg

The British Embassy in Luxembourg is only open to the public on Mondays, and by appointment only using the link above. If you require more urgent assistance please call us.

Marriage documents

From 1 September 2017, the Consular Section issues a new-style affirmation or an affidavit to marry. Or enter a Civil Partnership. This replaces the old-style Certificate of No Impediment (CNI).

Please visit getting married abroad to find out what you need to do.

Book an appointment for affidavit or affirmation of marital status

You also need to take:

  • your passport
  • evidence if you’ve changed your name by deed poll
  • proof of your address, your ‘Certificat de Résidence’, a bank statement or utility bill if you live in Luxembourg
  • a boarding pass, hotel receipt or other travel documentation to show that you’ve been in the country for 3 full days, if you don’t live in Luxembourg

If you’ve been in a marriage or civil partnership before

You’ll need to take one of the following documents:

You can provide copies of a decree or death certificate instead of originals. They’ll need to be certified by a notary public or solicitor in the country where the divorce took place or the death was registered.

If your divorce, civil partnership dissolution or annulment took place outside the UK, you’ll need evidence that you or your former partner lived in or were a national of that country at the time.

Other services we provide

Informative note for explanation of change of name and/or surname under English law

This informative note is required for a variety of notary and bureaucratic procedures in Luxembourg eg the sale of property when the property was bought and registered in a previous surname, for remarriage when a divorced woman took on her first husband’s surname and has not reverted back to her maiden name on her birth certificate.

It is not possible to change your name and/or surname by deed poll or declaration in Luxembourg and married women usually retain their own surnames. Therefore even if you submit a legalised and translated version of your British name change document, or other documentary evidence to prove the change, the Luxembourg authorities may require confirmation from the embassy that this is a legal process in the UK.

Please note: we can only offer the informative note about naming in English and French.

You can print off and complete the Informative note for change of name in Luxembourg (PDF, 316KB, 4 pages)

Services provided elsewhere

We no longer provide life certificates for British nationals claiming a British pension abroad. Please refer to the list of people working in a recognised profession who can do this for you.

Data protection

The Foreign & Commonwealth Office holds and uses data for purposes notified to the Information Commissioner under the Data Protection Act 1998. Such personal data may be disclosed to other UK government departments and public authorities.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy / consulate by the relevant authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. Accordingly the FCO and the British embassy / consulate will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. For all notarial and legalisation services it is the responsibility of the customer to ascertain the precise requirements of the person requesting the notarial or legalisation service and to satisfy themselves that the service provided by the embassy/consulate will be accepted.

Published 27 May 2013
Last updated 21 February 2018 + show all updates
  1. Updated February 2018
  2. Amended September 2017
  3. Updated instructions for witnessing life certificates for UK state pensions
  4. First published.