Guidance for people who were employed and have lost their job due to coronavirus (COVID-19).
Apply online for Universal Credit to get financial support if you’ve lost your job.
You might also be able to:
- apply online for New Style Jobseeker’s Allowance
- apply for New Style Employment and Support Allowance, if you have a disability or health condition that affects how much you can work
You might also be able to get New Style Employment and Support Allowance if one of the following applies to you or your child, now or some time in the past:
- you’re at high risk because you have an underlying health condition (shielding)
- you’re self-isolating because you have symptoms of coronavirus
- you’re self-isolating because you came into contact with someone who has symptoms of coronavirus, or you were told to self-isolate by a test and trace service
Interviews and assessments will be done by telephone. You should not go to a Jobcentre Plus unless asked to do so for an exceptional purpose, for example to collect your Payment Exception Service vouchers.
Processing your application
Because of coronavirus, it might take longer than usual to process your application and answer questions about it. We apologise for these delays – we know this is a difficult time.
If you do not have enough money to live on while you wait for your first Universal Credit payment you can ask for an advance payment.