You may be able to claim new style Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) with, or instead of, Universal Credit, depending on your National Insurance record.
You may be able to get new style Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) if you live in a Universal Credit full service area.
You may also be able to get new style Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) if you live anywhere else and are:
- already claiming Universal Credit
- returning to Universal Credit within 6 months of a previous claim
You will need to have paid or been credited with enough National Insurance contributions.
You can get new style JSA for up to 182 days. After this your work coach will talk to you about your options.
You can get new style JSA on its own or at the same time as Universal Credit.
If you claim both benefits any new style JSA you are entitled to will be deducted from your Universal Credit payment.
Differences between new style JSA and Universal Credit
The differences between new style JSA and Universal Credit are:
- new style JSA is paid to an individual, Universal Credit is a single household payment
- new style JSA doesn’t take into account any savings you have
- if you have a partner who is working, their earnings don’t affect your new style JSA payment
- Universal Credit can include money for your rent or childcare costs, new style JSA doesn’t
- new style JSA stops if you work 16 hours a week or more, Universal Credit looks at earnings you get, not the number of hours you work
- new style JSA is paid every 2 weeks and Universal Credit is usually paid every month
Find out more about Universal Credit.
Payment of new style JSA
New style JSA is paid at the end of every 2 weeks into your bank, building society or credit union account.
What you’ll get
|Up to 24 years||up to £57.90|
|25 and over||up to £73.10|
If you get new style JSA, you will get Class 1 National Insurance credits. These count towards your State Pension and some other benefits.
In some circumstances you may only get these credits and no money. This is known as a ‘credits only’ claim.
How to claim new style Jobseeker’s Allowance
The way you claim new style JSA depends on where you live.
If you live in a Universal Credit full service area
If you can’t claim online call:
Telephone: 0800 055 6688
Textphone: 0800 023 4888
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
If you don’t live in a Universal Credit full service area
If you don’t live in a Universal Credit full service area, you can claim new style JSA by calling:
Telephone: 0800 328 9344
Textphone: 0800 328 1344
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
If you’re not eligible to claim Universal Credit in your area, then you won’t be able to claim new style JSA. You may be able to claim contribution-based or income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance instead.
Published: 6 December 2016
Updated: 1 January 2018
- Updated for changes to who can claim new style Jobseeker's Allowance from 1 January 2018 if you don't live in a Universal Credit full service area.
- Updated guide with new 0800 freephone numbers for Universal Credit.
- How to claim new style Jobseeker's Allowance information updated.
- First published.