P45, P60 and P11D forms: workers' guide

Skip to contents of guide


You’ll get a P45 from your employer when you stop working for them.

Your P45 shows how much tax you’ve paid on your salary so far in the tax year (6 April to 5 April).

A P45 has 4 parts (Part 1, Part 1A, Part 2 and Part 3).

  1. Your employer sends details for Part 1 to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and gives you the other parts.

  2. You give Part 2 and 3 to your new employer (or to Jobcentre Plus if you’re not working).

  3. Keep Part 1A for your own records.

By law your employer must give you a P45 - ask them for one.

You can check how much tax you paid last year if you think you might have paid too much.

If you do not have a P45

Your new employer will need to work out how much tax you should be paying on your salary if you do not have a P45. For example, if:

  • you’re starting your first job
  • you’re taking on a second job
  • you cannot get your P45 from your previous employer

You’ll need to tell your new employer about things like other jobs you have, any benefits you get and if you have a student loan. They’ll ask you to either fill in a ‘starter checklist’ or give the information in another way.

Your employer will use this information to work out your correct tax code before your first payday if you do not have a P45.