1. Overview

Universal Credit is a new benefit that has started to replace 6 existing benefits with a single monthly payment into your account. Universal Credit will help you to be better off in work, start a new job or work more hours.

Universal Credit will eventually replace:

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

At this time, your eligibility to claim Universal Credit depends on where you live and your personal circumstances.

Universal Credit started to be introduced in stages from April 2013.

We plan to make Universal Credit available in each part of Great Britain during 2016. New claims to existing benefits, which Universal Credit is replacing, will then close down, with the vast majority of claimants moving onto Universal Credit during 2016 and 2017.

Making work pay

There are no limits to the number of hours you can work a week. Your Universal Credit payment will reduce gradually as you earn more - you won’t lose all your benefits at once if you’re on a low income.

How much you’ll receive depends on your personal circumstances.

How you’ll be paid

Universal Credit is paid differently to current benefits. It’ll be paid once a month into your bank or building society account.

Any help you get with your rent will be included with your Universal Credit payment and you’ll then pay your landlord yourself.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.