Report a change of circumstances

You need to report changes to your circumstances so you keep getting the right amount each month.

You need to report changes as soon as they happen. Any delay may mean you receive too much money and will have to make a repayment.

Changes in your circumstances can affect how much you’re paid for your whole assessment period - not just from the date you report them.

Changes can include:

  • finding or finishing a job
  • having a child
  • moving in with your partner
  • starting to care for a child or disabled person
  • changing your mobile number or email address
  • moving to a new address
  • changing your bank details
  • your rent going up or down
  • changes to your health condition
  • becoming too ill to work or meet your work coach
  • changes to your earnings (only if you’re self-employed)
  • changes to your savings, investments and how much money you have
  • changes to your immigration status, if you’re not a British citizen

You could be taken to court or have to pay a penalty if you give wrong information or do not report a change in your circumstances.

How to report

You can report a change of circumstances by signing in to your Universal Credit account.

If you get a job or increase the hours you work

Use a benefits calculator or speak with your work coach to find out how getting a job or an increase in your earnings might affect your Universal Credit claim.

Most employers will report your earnings for you. You will normally only need to report monthly earnings if you are self-employed.

If you’ve been paid too much

You may have to repay the money if you:

  • did not report a change straight away
  • gave wrong information
  • were overpaid by mistake

Find out how to repay the money you owe from benefit overpayment.

If you’re nearing the end of life

You may get extra money if you’re nearing the end of life because of an illness. You may also be able to get other benefits.

If you’ve been told you might have more than 12 months to live

You’ll need to report this in the same way as any other change of circumstance.

If you’ve been told you might have 12 months or less to live

Report the change online through your Universal Credit account. You’ll be contacted about what to do next.

You can also get someone else to report the change for you. They should ask a doctor or medical professional to fill in form SR1.

The doctor will have the form already. Either the doctor or your representative can send it to:

Department for Work and Pensions
Universal Credit Full Service

If you’ve already sent form SR1 for another benefit, for example Employment and Support Allowance, you do not need to send it again.

You will not need to have a Work Capability Assessment.