3. Eligibility

You can currently claim Universal Credit if you’re either:

  • a single person anywhere in England, Wales and Scotland
  • a couple or family living in certain areas

To get Universal Credit you must:

  • be 18 or over
  • be under State Pension age
  • not be in full time education or training
  • not have savings over £16,000

You’ll get less Universal Credit if you have savings over £6,000 or earn enough money to cover your basic living costs.

If you live with your partner you’ll need to make a joint claim as a couple. Your partner’s income and savings will be taken into account, even if they aren’t eligible for Universal Credit.

If you want to claim a benefit without your savings, your partner’s savings or their income being taken into account, you can apply for either:

You can apply for these if you’re entitled to apply for Universal Credit.

Who isn’t eligible

You can’t claim Universal Credit if you already get:

  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • income-related Incapacity Benefit

You may be able to claim other benefits if you don’t live in a qualifying area or you’re not eligible to claim Universal Credit.