Universal Credit is a monthly payment to help with your living costs. You may be able to get it if you’re on a low income or out of work.

You might get an extra amount of Universal Credit if you have a health condition or disability that limits how much work you can do. The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) refers to this as your ‘capability to work’.

Your monthly payment is based on your circumstances, for example your health condition or disability, income and housing costs.

Find out if you’re eligible for Universal Credit.

This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

If you live in Northern Ireland, go to Universal Credit in Northern Ireland.

Other support you can get

You may also be eligible for New Style Employment and Support Allowance.

Check if you can get other financial support.

If you might have 12 months or less to live

You may get extra money for Universal Credit if a medical professional has said you might have 12 months or less to live.

If you’re making a new claim, you can declare this during your application. If you’ve already made a claim, you’ll need to report this as a change of circumstances.

You will not usually need a Work Capability Assessment.

Find out more about getting benefits if you’re nearing the end of life.