What you can get

You can get help paying for your housing if you’re eligible for Universal Credit. This is called your housing payment.

This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

Your housing payment can help you pay:

Once you’ve started claiming you need to report any changes in your circumstances. If you do not, your benefits may stop.

If you’re in temporary or supported housing

You cannot get Universal Credit to pay for temporary, emergency, supported or sheltered housing. Apply for Housing Benefit through your council instead.

Other help with housing costs

You can apply for help with financial difficulties from your main Universal Credit payment.

You might also be able to get Council Tax Reduction.

Your benefits might go down if you get more than the benefit cap amount.

If you become homeless while you’re getting Universal Credit

You must report this in your online account. Your work coach can give you a break (called an ‘easement’) from your Claimant Commitment responsibilities so you have time to look for accommodation. You can still claim Universal Credit.

If you live in Scotland

You can get the housing payment either:

  • paid to you
  • paid straight to your landlord

You can choose whether the payment is made once or twice a month.

If you’re making a new claim, you’ll get a notification about this after your first payment.

If you’re already getting Universal Credit and have not had a notification, you can ask your work coach.

Payment dates in Scotland

You can choose to be paid once or twice a month.

When you’re paid twice a month your first payment will be for a full month. You’ll get the first half of your second month’s payment a month after this. The second half will be paid 15 days later. This means there will be about a month and a half between your first payment and the full amount for your second month.

After this, you’ll be paid twice a month.


You get your first payment on 14 December. This payment is for a full month.

If you’re paid twice a month, you get half of your second payment on 14 January and the other half on 29 January.

You get paid on the 14th and 29th of each month after that.