You can apply to your council for a Council Tax Reduction - also known as Council Tax Support. If you qualify you’ll get a discount on your bill.
Council Tax Reduction replaced Council Tax Benefit in April 2013.
What you need to know
- Not available in Northern Ireland
You could be eligible if you’re on a low income or claim benefits. Your bill could be reduced by up to 100%. What you get depends on:
- where you live - each council runs its own scheme
- your circumstances (eg residency status, benefits)
- your household income, including savings, pensions and your partner’s income
- if your children live with you
- if other adults live with you