Apply to your local council for Council Tax Reduction (sometimes called Council Tax Support).
You’ll get a discount on your bill if you’re eligible.
There’s a different scheme in Northern Ireland.
You could be eligible if you’re on a low income or claim benefits. Your bill could be reduced by up to 100%.
You can apply if you own your home, rent, are unemployed or working.
What you get depends on:
- where you live - each council runs its own scheme
- your circumstances (for example income, number of children, benefits, residency status)
- your household income - this includes savings, pensions and your partner’s income
- if your children live with you
- if other adults live with you