You can apply to your council for a Council Tax Reduction - also known as Council Tax Support. If you qualify you’ll get a discount on your bill.

Council Tax Reduction replaced Council Tax Benefit in April 2013.

Postcode lookup

What you need to know

  • Not available in Northern Ireland

You could be eligible if you’re on a low income or claim benefits. Your bill could be reduced by up to 100%. What you get depends on:

  • where you live - each council runs its own scheme
  • your circumstances (eg residency status, benefits)
  • your household income, including savings, pensions and your partner’s income
  • if your children live with you
  • if other adults live with you

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.