You’ll need to know 3 things:
- the valuation band for your home in England and Wales or in Scotland
- how much your local council charges for that band
- whether you can get a discount or exemption from the full bill
You may be able to get Council Tax Reduction (this used to be called Council Tax Benefit) if you’re on a low income or get benefits.
You can challenge your Council Tax band if you think your home is in the wrong valuation band.
Changes that may affect your Council Tax band
Your property may be revalued and put in a different band in some circumstances, eg if:
- you make major alterations to it, such as adding an extension or annexe - the band won’t change until you sell the property
- you split a single property into self-contained flats
- you convert flats into a single property
- you start or stop working from home
- there are significant changes to your local area, like a new road being built
You may get a separate Council Tax bill if your property includes a self-contained annexe.
Ask your local council if you want to know if changes to your property will affect your Council Tax band.