Council Tax appeals

1. Challenge your band

Valuation bands are based on how much a property was worth on:

You might be able to challenge your Council Tax band if you think it’s wrong, but you need to continue paying your Council Tax while the challenge is happening.

You can also appoint someone else to challenge on your behalf.

How to challenge your band

  1. Find your property’s Council Tax band on the valuation list.

  2. From ‘Council Tax band details’ choose ‘Do you think this Council Tax band is wrong?’

  3. From ‘If you think your Council Tax band is wrong’ choose ‘Check if you can formally challenge your Council Tax band’.

  4. Answer the questions on the checklist to find out if you can make a challenge.

  5. Select ‘Make a formal challenge to your Council Tax band’.

Other ways to challenge

You can also challenge by post. Download and fill in the application to either:

Send the form to the Listing Officer at your regional VOA (Valuation Office Agency) office.

If you’re in Scotland use the Scottish Assessors website to check your Council Tax band, then follow the link ‘Make a proposal’.

If you’re not eligible to challenge

Contact the VOA to ask for an informal Council Tax band review. Explain why you think your band is wrong, for example you have evidence that local properties of a similar type, age and size are in a lower band than yours.

You’ll be told whether any further evidence is required.

Telephone (England): 03000 501 501
Telephone (Wales): 03000 505 505
Find out about call charges

What happens next

You’ll get a decision from the VOA within 2 months. They’ll either:

  • change your Council Tax band - your local council will revise your bill and adjust your payments
  • tell you why your band can’t be changed

If you disagree with the VOA’s decision

In England, if you make a formal challenge and disagree with the VOA’s decision, you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal.

If you’re in Wales, send it to the Welsh Tribunal.

The Valuation Tribunal is independent of the VOA. It’s free, but you have to pay your own costs.

You must appeal within 3 months of getting the VOA’s decision. You may be able to get the time limit extended if you can’t apply in time.

If the tribunal agrees with you, the VOA will change your band and the council will update your bill.

Get help

The Valuation Tribunal has guidance on:

You can also contact the tribunal for help.

Valuation Tribunal
Telephone: 0300 123 2035
Find out about call charges