Discounts for disabled people
You might be able to apply for a Council Tax discount or exemption if you or someone you live with is disabled.
Disabled Band Reduction Scheme
You may be eligible for the scheme if you live in a larger property than you would need if you or another occupant were not disabled.
If you qualify, your bill will be reduced to the next lowest Council Tax band. For example, if your property is in Band D, you’ll pay the Band C rate. If your home is already in the lowest band (Band A), you’ll get a 17% discount on your Council Tax bill instead.
You’ll have to show that you have either:
- an extra bathroom, kitchen or other room that you need for the disabled person
- extra space inside the property for using a wheelchair
The property must be the main home of at least 1 disabled person. This can be an adult or a child - it does not have to be the person responsible for paying the Council Tax.
How to apply
Check if you qualify for the Disabled Band Reduction Scheme.
Discounts for severely mentally impaired people
You might be able to apply for a discount on your Council Tax bill if you or someone you live with is severely mentally impaired.
You’ll need to:
- get a certificate to say you’re severely mentally impaired from a medical professional, such as your GP
- prove your eligibility for certain benefits - check with your local council
If you qualify as severely mentally impaired
You’ll get a 100% discount if you qualify as severely mentally impaired and one of the following applies:
- you live on your own
- any other adults in your household either qualify as severely mentally impaired or are full-time students
There’ll be a 50% discount on the council tax bill if everyone else in your household is ‘disregarded’.
If you live with someone who is severely mentally impaired
You’ll get a 25% discount if you live with someone who qualifies as severely mentally impaired and either:
- there are no other adults in your household
- everyone else in your home is disregarded
How to apply
Check if you qualify for a Council Tax discount.