If you’re a homeowner or have bought a shared ownership property, you might be able to get help towards interest payments on:

  • your mortgage
  • loans you’ve taken out for certain repairs and improvements to your home

This help is called Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI).

This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg) and easy read format.

It’s paid as a loan, which you’ll need to repay with interest when you sell or transfer ownership of your home (unless you’re moving the loan to another property).

You need to be getting a qualifying benefit to get SMI.

There’s no guarantee that you’ll get SMI for a mortgage or loan you take out.

What you cannot use SMI for

SMI cannot help you pay:

  • anything towards insurance policies you have
  • missed mortgage payments (arrears)